iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 460 hydraulics overheating

Started by timberjack3433, July 04, 2015, 11:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack3433

I have a Timberjack 460 that the hydraulics are overheating. I have no idea how long this has been a problem, as i bought this skidder recently and the problem apparently came with the machine. It overheats after steady pulling for about an hour and a half but will overheat within about 45 minutes with the skidder just sitting at idle. I have pressure washed the radiator and hydraulic cooler and replaced the hydraulic filter. The engine coolant also overheats after a little while longer but I suspect that is probably as a result of the hydraulics overheating everything. The air flow thru the radiator and cooler seem very strong from the front of the skidder so the air appears to be moving thru easily and I can see thru the radiator easily.

kiko

With it heating like that at idle , your problem is likely internal to the pump. The most important part of the radiator to be clean is in the corners.  On the 460 it is almost impossible to get to the two bottom corners. I have had to remove the radiator on several 460s I order to clean it and solve the overheating issue.

timberjack3433

That is what I have been leaning towards. I did have a mechanic come out and check the pressure and he said it was only running slightly under what it should have been. He seems to think that the main relief valve has failed causing the pump to run constantly and run hot. Does that seem reasonable? I am guessing without checking that the relief valve would be less expensive than the pump.

kiko

He is correct.  If the pressure setting of the main relief is set below that of the pump it will keep the pump from destroking . With a pressure guage installed you could attempt to increase the pressure, if the pressure does not rise then it is likely low main relief setting or failure.  This may also load the engine when trying to start esp if the pump unloading valve is not working.  Sometimes you can hear the engine unload when you are moving a cylinder(s). This defiantly means the pump is stay displaced for whatever reason.

Thank You Sponsors!