iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Next project... Building my Log Arch...

Started by Kbeitz, July 03, 2015, 08:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

All I did was to drive one wheel over the telephone pole...
Also broke the tail light on my jeep doing it. Could have been much worse.
Those Honda engines sure are great. One pull and it started right up and no smoke.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

I rolled mine on a slide slope a couple weeks ago and broke a weld. Got that fixed back then tore up the winch by installing the winch cable backwards  (rolled over top instead of under) then tore up a wheel in the dolly by overloading it with a big butt log and finally broke the cable at the hook on my new winch. That is a simple fix and I'll be back in business but need to replace one of the fairlead rollers on the arch to prevent future cable breakages.

Loading the tires on mine would not help as would be too heavy to haul up the steep slopes with my ATV plus when I get close to the log to load I move the arch from side to side by hand to point it towards the log being pulled. Most of the issues above are just normal cost of doing business here in the hills for me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

I watched in my mirror as it went over in slow motion. When it hit the corner of my
Jeep I seen parts fly and it made an sickening crunching sound. I was so glad to see
it was only my tail light.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

When I read your writing, "sickening crunch" my guts went twisty and I puckered right up.  Incredible.  Just reading the words brings back the feel of things like this happening.  I've heard that crunching so many times it should be illegal.  Not from stupidity so much as just incredibly bad luck most of my life.  :-\

Glad for you it wasn't much worse, like a crumpled quarter or something.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Czech_Made

Clear tape, nail polish and you are back on the road :)

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 16, 2016, 02:40:38 AM
I watched in my mirror as it went over in slow motion. When it hit the corner of my
Jeep I seen parts fly and it made an sickening crunching sound. I was so glad to see

Kbeitz

Quote from: Czech_Made on September 16, 2016, 11:03:55 AM
Clear tape, nail polish and you are back on the road :)

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 16, 2016, 02:40:38 AM

It's just another trip to the junkyard for me...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tnaz

It's just another trip to the junkyard for me... :D :D :D

alanh

I use this little skidder, it only lifts the front of the log but its amazing what it will go up,over and around, I`m just showing it for its design, you can rub a tree with the tow vehicle going around it and it will follow you without getting hung up

Kbeitz

That's neat... What kind of mule is that ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

You can add a 2 wheel dolly similar to what I use to keep the rear end off the ground to reduce drag or I'd think you could use a skid plate (although they are generally used on the front end)

I have a UTV winch on my arch and lift on end to get the dolly under it, strap it in place with a ratchet strap then go pick up the other end with my arch winch and tow it where needed.

Another way to connect the dolly would be pick up one end, put a pivot (a log or post or such) under it, bear down on the front, put the dolly or skid plate under, raise the front end again, remove the pivot and go.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

alanh

Im not sure of the brand.. the sticker wore away, I do remember it as one of the major players in orange wood tools..log rite maybe..

Brad_bb

Kbeitz, maybe you need folding outriggers, or training wheels so it doesn't tip?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Brad_bb on October 31, 2016, 05:46:17 PM
Kbeitz, maybe you need folding outriggers, or training wheels so it doesn't tip?

Sounds like a good idea ...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

alanh,that might even be a Norwood arch.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

alanh

Yup, that`s it, Norwood arch, Canam Commander tow vehicle...

Slingshot

I got this one with the first sawmill I bought from a guy in eastern KY.
Pulled some big logs with it.

_______________________________-
Charles

Thank You Sponsors!