iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eye catching Walnut

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 03, 2015, 03:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Member SPD748 (Lee) came down from North Carolina this morning and brought down 2 Walnut logs to be sawn.

These logs had been laying for a good while and the bark was falling off all over the place.
Unbelievable slabs and lumber came out of these logs. In fact I haven't seen logs with so little sap wood in a long time. We had several black heart slabs around 25 inches wide and 2 1/4 inches thick.
What's Lee gonna do with it......he said he would stack, sticker and just look at it.  :)
Sounds like a plan to me.  ;D....it was good to get together with Lee again and catch up on mill talk.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fishpharmer

Dang, Poston I bet you were dreaming of all those 300 dollar bills? :D ;D. Always fun to visit with FF members :).
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Delawhere Jack

Walnut that's been sitting around in log form for several years seems to have better color and visual "depth". Don't know why. I've heard it / read it from many people, and seen it myself of a few occasions.

drobertson

yea they look nice, and that looked fun, love to visit too, sitting on nine walnut blow down from about 5 years ago, very, very little sap wood in them, may just stage them up tonight for the morning.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SPD748

What a day! Many thanks to David for sawing those Walnut logs for me. I wanted to get as wide of a slab as possible and I knew David's Woodmizer was just what the doctor ordered. My Dad would be proud to know that I have friends like David around to help when needed!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Finn1903

Nice slabs.
Amazing how well walnut ages.  I cut some walnut last weekend for a guy.  They too where sitting around forever and the sap wood pretty much turned to mush.  The boards turned out to be spectacular, nice deep black.  He also brought along two root balls that we made some turning pieces and gun stock blanks. 
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

drobertson

Well, I got the logs on the deck a little before sundown, had amazing catfish, all by my lonesome, (not whining)  just saying and thought I would at least get the first one opened up, not the best of the batch but the longest, so wanted it on the bottom of the stack of course,

back at it in the morning, then the ribs are going on, so Happy Independence Day to All, and thank God for our military troops!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

All these beautiful pictures of walnut are killing me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 04, 2015, 07:37:54 AM
All these beautiful pictures of walnut are killing me.

.........and the menu for next week.....CHERRY. :)

WDH

Kick a man when he is down......

cutterboy

Oh my, what beautiful lumber. Those of us who saw logs are really lucky. We get to see lumber when it looks it's very best....damp, right off the log.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

I am seeing some purdy stuff.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

YellowHammer

Nice, I haven't seen walnut like that in a long, long time, we just cant get it here.
Pretty stuff.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

The walnut lumber posted by David (PostonLT40HD) and David (drobertson) is awesome.  This is what it is all about. 

Way to go David (squared).

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 05, 2015, 09:49:04 PM
The walnut lumber posted by David (PostonLT40HD) and David (drobertson) is awesome.  This is what it is all about. 

Way to go David (squared).

Who you calling square?  :D

WDH

Better to be square than obtuse  ;D. 

Kbeitz

Walnut is one tree I have growing all over my land.
This is one chunk I used to make my table in my cabin.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

Now, that is nice wood. 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

samandothers

Wow that is some good looking Walnut boards/slabs. 

drobertson

Mercy sakes I am starting to like this walnut thread, did a little more today, a smaller log bout 14", sure made some nice looking stock, the bigger ones are coming up in the morning,

the pics really kinda messed up the true color, not sure what that's all about, but this log yielded about 40bd/ft of absolutely clear 8" to 11" can hardly wait til morning, in fact I just may go open up a face or two and take a look at the next one,  sure is fun! ;D

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Take 2 aspirin and text me in the morning.  :D :D :D :D :D

drobertson

I did go face off the next log, just to see, and boy howdy, I wish I had Danny's phone number, I was needing to get some serious advice on just what to do,, this thing has figure running out the ends, and basically clear, sides some real character knots, and some very solid spalting in the sap wood.   I'm thinking live edge through 8/4+ and let the chips fall.

I know the photo quality stinks, real sorry bout that, lighting and a cheap flip phone,

Thank You Sponsors!