iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rookie question

Started by stumpy, September 15, 2004, 03:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

I'm new to sawing and am looking for some hints from you experienced guys. I have a Norwood Lumbermate and am sawing alot of pine for 2x4's, 2x6's etc.
Any hints on how to quickly determine how thick the cant should be to get the most boards?
I cut the slab off, and then another board about 5/4. Then I begin measuring and estimating to see how far I should cut before rotating it. I eventualy figure it out, but it takes me awhile. Just wondering if there is a quicker or easier way. ???
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

D._Frederick

Make your self a sawing chart for your 2inch cuts. Start your chart at 2 inch for your last cut, then add 2 1/16 inches for each additional cut. This will tell you were to start sawing on your cant, you can take off a 1 inch board on the slap cut to get on the cut line. Using this method, you don't need a shim cut.

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Accuset.

(sorry an orange joke!)
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

VA-Sawyer

I'll give this a try.  I first level the heart, then cut my first slab. On larger logs I try to get a face at least 6" wide. On smaller ones, I try to imagian the "square in the circle". My second cut is about the same. The third cut sets the width of the boards on smaller logs. On larger logs I often leave a 4X4 or 6X6 post so I make the third cut to be post size plus an even number of boards +kerfs. For small logs the fourth face is cut a number of boards + kerfs above the deck like D_F said in his post. On large logs it is cut like the third face.
I eyeball the first two cuts based on experience. I use my board scale for all cuts after that.
Hope this helps more than it confuses.
VA-Sawyer

DansSawmill

i cheated, got marks on my scale with a sharpie for where to cut to get 1 5/8" thick and where to cut to get 3 5/8" that way after intial slab you can flip 180 and see where to cut to get your 2x4's
added in my calculations the kerf of course but that way i only had to take off my shoes to count once  :D
dan
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

Fla._Deadheader

I'm with Dan. Had a chart made up at the local print shop. Have 3 sizes with kerf figgered in. THEN, I added Sharpie lines for weird sizes. Keeps ME cornfuzed. 8) ;D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ex-racer

I use this "template" made from 1/4" plywood to get a rough idea of what I can get. Then I proceed in a way similar to what VA Sawyer described.

This template is made for framing lumber (2x).
You can see from the kerf width that I have a circle mill. :)

This log would yield four 2 x 10s, plus a couple of 2 x 6s and a few narrow boards.

Ed

Thank You Sponsors!