iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dozer Guarding... Woods work...

Started by wfcjr, July 01, 2015, 06:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfcjr

Have just got a used, low hour JD 550 LT dozer for woods work.

We are in process of getting it "up armored", forestry guards all around cab, forestry guards on A/C unit,
heavier duty grille guard, tank guards, limb risers, etc.

Does anyone have any experience or perspective on bottom guard reinforcements?  GR offers bottom guard reinforcement
plates.  Not sure if they are worthwhile/necessary or if the standard bottom guards will do the trick.  Dozer will be used primarily for woods work, clearing trails/roads, working clear cuts, etc.  We are up in the mountains in VT, so logs, stumps & large stones are all a concern.

Input and experience are appreciated.

Thanks,

HiTech

That's a good question. Never gave the bottom a thought as it has factory guards. The ROPS and screens and limb risers are all people talk about. I do know dozers and rocks don't get along. lol If there is one rock in an open field a dozer track will find it. Very rough riding in rocky terrain. I am sure someone has had an experience on here they will share. 

John Woodworth

Depending on how it was ordered new  does it have rock guards for the bottom rollers, if not you should install them, the bottom protection should be fine, just get in the habit of checking bolts for tightness periodically.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

redneck

likely not a bad idea.  I have had issues with poorly guarded excavators underneath (belly pans too thin ) Nerver had an issues with a dozer on the bottom except for on a Jd 850J.  They didn't have a small access door to change the oil.  I was not very happy have to remove a large Heavy belly pan just to drain the oil. 
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

g_man

I have never given guarding the bottom a thought - It is a good question maybe I should. Big rocks are the worry here and we have plenty. Some times when you try to straddle an innocent looking small rock in soft woods dirt it turns out not so small. The track will go over the buried edge of it and tip it up underneath the dozer to scrape or roll along under the belly pan. I have even been high centered this way when the rock rolled just right. So far the belly pan has held up to the abuse though. My dozer is a TD7G - about JD450 size. Use it to make and maintain tractor roads and small landings.

ST Ranch

Rock guards on the lower track rollers a must, and agree that you need to keep the bolts tight - I beefed up my rock guards with 1/2 fish plating and extra cross bolts [spreaders- betwween the guards] to stiffen the stock guards that came from supplier.
Belly pan and rear trans pan also doubled the thickness by adding 1/2 plate. - had to redo the oil drain holes as well and this took a fair bit of time. 
Also added 1/2 inch fish plate around the front rad suppoert on the outside of the engine hood, to accommodate for the sweeps being bolted to the front of the engine hood.
Raised the height of the blade in center to stop logs from rolling over the blade when decking logs.
Re-routed any exterior hydrallic lines to blade inside engine/body compartments or added metal tube to route through.
Welded protective covers over all hydrallic fitting on blade hydrallics.

Kind of hard to see it all in attached photo

LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Thank You Sponsors!