iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

buying new mill soon

Started by stihltoomany, June 30, 2015, 10:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stihltoomany

I know that there are a lot of Wood Mizer owners on this forum. I am thinkin real hard on the LT40. Probably the 35hp gas. I need opinions on other features and why. Walk, ride, command center?? I am trying to buy the mill set up proper the first time. I don,t know exactly what I will be sawing, mostly Iowa hard woods I assume. This my retirement toy so I want all Hydraulics. I'm not near as tough as Magicman and others.  :D Haven't had much luck finding a used mill that suited me, so decided to go new. Will probably saDw alone most of the time. Haven't run a WM yet, but been readin the forum off and on for a couple of years and know there is some DanG smart people on here. So please give me the benefit of all that experience and tell me how to option the LT40 up. Thanks for your time and advice. :P ;D
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

4x4American

Here are the options I'd say go for and why:

-Diesel:  More power, fuel savings, will last 10x as long as gas engine, service every 250 hours as opposed to every 50 hours.

-Remote Command Post:  Depends on how much you like walking, but do you really want to walk back and forth behind the sawdust chute, following a headrig all day?

-Board Return: Self explanatory if you ask me.  I love it.

-Accuset II:  If you are any bit computer savy get this setworks.  It is incredible what you can do with it.

-Blades:  Get enough.

-Lube-Mizer: It sprays the blade on both sides with a jet stream with the flip of a switch and automatically.  Why wouldn't you want it!

If you get a mill you won't be retired anymore...just tired.  :D

Boy, back in my day..

stihltoomany

What about extra stops and and the fancy blade guides. Get the debarker I assume, does it work well? I want the diesel and accuset and the command post. But would like to trim the cost a little. Trying to set the mill up for good resale if that ever becomes reality. Is riding with the headrig even tolerable?
and other dirt toys
WoodMizer LT40 super

starmac

I have to ask, what is your plans for the mill? Milling your own, mobile milling for hire, stationary milling for the public. It seems to me that the planned use would have a huge effect of how you would want it outfitted.
I'm certainly no expert, but from what I have seen, pretty much all woodmiers, properly maintained hold their resale value really well, no matter the options.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

stihltoomany

Will start out milling for my own needs. But may do any or all of the above as time goes by. This is my retirement toy, so profit is not the motive at this time. But being able to get something done when I saw is. There is not alot logging around here, but no mills close either.
and other dirt toys
WoodMizer LT40 super

slider

I have  a remote command now and a walk along before and i don't see much difference.You are going to do lot's of walking either way.The debarker works well and will save you money if you are in much dirty wood.The roller tow boards are something i would insist on.I also like the two plane clamp.Good luck on your decision.Al
al glenn

Magicman

I wish you the best with your decision, but I was only 59 when I bought my sawmill.  Any regrets would be that I did not do it sooner, but then I might not have found this sawmill.  Options (bells & whistles) do more than make noise.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

From my limited experience on my older mill, the options I would insist on (and they may come standard on the new LT40hd is the auto clutch, roller toe boards and the dual plane clamp.
Mine has the hydraulic toe boards, but not the rollers and not near as handy, the same for the clamp, the dual plane is much handier. As far as the auto clutch, mine works fine and gets the job done, but no way would I spec a new mill without it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

I would add debarker and setworks to that list.    ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

When sawing by ones self, at the end of the day its how many pounds have been lifted and how many miles walked.  With my drag back I pull the slab back onto a roller table.  A shove moves the slab into the rack behind the roller table.  Next is the flitches.  On medium to big logs I can flip them off the log into the loader arms using the back stops with the chain turner.  After that I pull boards back onto a roller table.  I stack into a rack a step away from the console.  On longer logs I can stack while the carriage is making the next cut. 

Finally time to edge.  Lift the boards up with the loader arms.  If I hold my tongue just right, boards slide over to the cant and I clamp by using the turner with the clamp.  I'll have to leave the console to pick up all the little trimmings.  Drag back the now edged boards and time to start over.

Guess you could say the number one option for me is the drag back with console.  After that its how much money ya got and how fast ya wanta go.

Sawing mobile with help I have a different story.  The drag back takes a back seat to other options, but is still nice to have at times.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

stihltoomany

Any comments on simple set vs accuset? Thanks for the comments so far.
and other dirt toys
WoodMizer LT40 super

petefrom bearswamp

have had both simple and accuset, accuset is my choice at my age and walking all day along side will not work for me. simple takes getting used to without re positioning the head multiple times when learning.
Debarker is a must, high performance blade guides a personal choice but IMO not necessary. roller toe boards have more than positioning use. I use them to remove bark etc from under the cants.
Diesel for me.
Sawing in retirement can be a sickness not easily remedied

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

stihltoomany

anyone know how TK setworks and WM acuset compare?
and other dirt toys
WoodMizer LT40 super

GAB

I would suggest the electric clutch, fine adjust supports, have all 4 log stops operate from the hydraulic lever, and a mill that you can attach and use with an extension bed.  I believe that the W-M mills with the cable tray on the side can not be used with an extension bed, as the cable is not long enough.
To those, who are more knowledgeable than I, please let me know if I am wrong.
Gerald

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Dave Shepard

The cattrack mills are limited to a 6 extension. I think wireless is the same $ as Command Control, and I wouldn't be without it if it was a choice between the two. I really like my Accuset2. The LT40 at work has no setworks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

stihltoomany

Thanks for the replies. Going to order a mill this month, just trying put the finishing touches on the option list. Comparing the TK 2000 to WM LT40 hg35. Is this a valid comparison? I know the TK has bigger numbers. Any comments?
and other dirt toys
WoodMizer LT40 super

GAB

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 04, 2015, 08:15:16 PM
The cattrack mills are limited to a 6 extension. I think wireless is the same $ as Command Control, and I wouldn't be without it if it was a choice between the two. I really like my Accuset2. The LT40 at work has no setworks.

Thanks,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

4x4American

Quote from: stihltoomany on June 30, 2015, 10:51:55 PM
What about extra stops and and the fancy blade guides. Get the debarker I assume, does it work well? I want the diesel and accuset and the command post. But would like to trim the cost a little. Trying to set the mill up for good resale if that ever becomes reality. Is riding with the headrig even tolerable?

Yes debarker is a must.  Must've slipped my mind in that I was thinking it was a given  :D   The way it was explained to me, the fancy guides are more better for pallet guys who are sawing small stuff fast and they are another extra thing to have to keep track of.  I have no experience with them.  I like having the extra stops.  Makes edging better, more strongerer fence when clamping against it, more support.  I've not been without them.  Having just two stops might be just fine though, I am not sure.  Less to keep aligned, but they take more of a beating. 

Ask Peter Drouin or Magicman about the lazy boy reclining seat option they have. 
Boy, back in my day..

bates

I just did the same thing, for the same reason.  Was real patient, watched the net for 7 months and got a 2010 lt40,  full Hyd, 38 hp (gas), debarked, board drag back, 56 hours on the mill.  Craig's list.  So far only thing I need is more time to saw.  Wishing you the best in your search!

Brucer

My first mill:
- manual.
- 28 HP fuel injected gas.
- no debarker, no autoclutch, no setworks or accuset, no seat, no anything else.

My second mill:
- hydraulic.
- 28 HP fuel injected gas.
- debarker.
Added later:
- autoclutch.
- fast adjust outriggers.
- dragback.
- still no setworks or accuset, no seat, no remote console.

Next time  :D :D.
- hydraulic.
- ?? HP diesel.
- debarker.
- autoclutch.
- fast adjust outriggers.
- dragback.
- still no setworks or accuset, no seat, no remote console.

A few points to think about:
- Magicman uses a seat and wouldn't be without it. I walk along beside the mill and wouldn't want the seat. It's partly personal preference, partly climate, partly the nature of what we saw.
- Magicman bought a mill with the dragback option and soon removed it. I bought a mill without a dragback option and soon afterword added one. It's mainly a case of the kind of work we do.
- Both of us added an autoclutch after we'd been sawing a while.

Personally I have no use for accuset. That's because I'm really good (and fast) at doing math in my head. Always have been. I checked out accuset at a demo once and I already knew where I would make my opening cut before the operator had punched in the numbers. But I know I'm a little weird that way and I can see the attraction of a computer for many people.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Dave Shepard

Accuset2 becomes valuable when the head moves so fast you can't hit the mark manually. With wireless remote, I often keep the band spinning between cuts as you just bump the down button as you gig back and never miss a beat.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

stihltoomany

Thanks for the info. Still a little worried about WM electrical problems. Any comforting comments.
and other dirt toys
WoodMizer LT40 super

beenthere

May just be that they are operator problems, more than WM problems... just sayin....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nomad

Quote from: stihltoomany on July 09, 2015, 02:56:44 AM
Thanks for the info. Still a little worried about WM electrical problems. Any comforting comments.

No piece of machinery likes to sit idle for too long; mechanical, hydraulic or electric.  Gremlins breed during the idle periods.  WM mills are no different.  Keep 'em running and maintained and problems are minimal.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

I had a software conflict between Accuset2 and my wireless remote when the mill was new. My mill is a preproduction wireless, the third one made I was told. WM installed new software and the mill has functioned flawlessly since.

Thank You Sponsors!