iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hypothetical Situation

Started by luvmexfood, June 30, 2015, 09:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Suppose you are going to take a waterhose on the roof and unstop a gutter downspout. You live way out and have no close neighbors. No one coming to visit.

1) Be sure someone is home in case you hook the ladder with the waterhose and knock it over.

2) If no one is home be sure you have a phone with you in case you hook the ladder with the waterhose and knock it over.

3) In case you ignore 1&2 above and are forced to loop the waterhose around a vent pipe and try to shimmy down it remove your belt buckle so it won't get hung on the guttering stopping you. It is impossible to hang on to the waterhose with one hand and get unhooked from the guttering.

You might not be so lucky to fall on the porch landing on your feet breaking your fall slightly, then feet sliding out from under you landing on your butt further easing your fall then landing hard on your back. You might not come out of it just sore and a really skinned forearm.

Of course all the above is hypthetical and not based on an actual event that happened yesterday.  ;)
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

WDH

:D :D :D :D

Hyprthetically speaking, of course  :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

goose63

It's your story stick to it :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sumday

Good thing this scenario was hypothetical, otherwise someone could have been hurt

Andy White

A video of that would be priceless!!  Pride hurt worse than the body.   >:( >:( :o :o Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WV Sawmiller

LuvMex,

I'm sure glad I've never done anything like that!

And I would never run a 24' extension ladder up to a fallen white oak over my old milking barn/goat barn, tie it off and cut a 6" top out beyond the barn. And if I did I would never put my arm through and under the top rung while I cut because "anybody" would know when you did that when the top fell the stub would rise up and your arm between the rung and the log would be caught and since you had not told anyone what you were doing you'd have to figure out how to get free by yourself.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

And I would never cut down an ash tree growing up against one's Mother's house, and after making the front cut, realize that I could not make a good back cut because the tree was growing up against the house, and I did not want to run the chain against the bricks, then decide to get a ladder and get on the roof with the intent of cutting the top out, then crank up the saw and hold it in one hand, then push on the tree with one hand to see if it would move before cutting the top out, then realize that I had pushed so hard that it suddenly began to fall such that I lost my balance and went off the roof with the tree with the running saw in the one hand, all of us going down together at the same time.

I would never do that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandsawmill14

:D :D :D  you guys are funny  :D :D :D 
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandhills

I love all these hypothetical situations, couldn't even imagine where to start on the ones I've dreamt up  ;D

Howdy

A while back "someone" at breakfast with the guys shared how he needed to replace his doorbell 'cause his wife wanted a pretty one.  "He" explained how in hanging the new bell "he" needed to mount it where the old one was.  After doing the task, "he" shared that the new bell did not work. 

So "he" went off to the home center and purchased a new transformer with the correct voltage.  Mounting the new trans did not fix the bell but it did somehow burn out the new trans rather quickly.  So the third trip to get yet another trans but "he" didn't mount it without giving it a couple days of thought. 

So at breakfast "he" shared "his" experiences which resulted in four of the fellows coming over to assist.  It didn't take long to discover somehow the circuit was shorted out causing the transformer to try to activate the bell all the time.  Between the four guys they traced the circuit and it was only when wiggling the wires did they see one of the new mounting screws also moved.  Somehow "he" had run the screw through the wire between the bell and transformer shorting it out. 

Removing the screw and Presto Changeo the new Pretty doorbell rang out with the same old sound, but it was pretty.

Never again did "he" share his electrical issues without thinking of the looks on their faces.  Never has "he" spoken of the day he tried to mount a picture on the wall and found the 240v 60amp main wire and the resulting explosion threw "him" across the room.  Then if that wasn't good enough "he" tried again and again flew across the room.  That resulted in the need for an electrician to make the necessary repairs and the picture just disappeared. 

Of course as no one knows who "he" is, "he" can share the story here.

By the way, if anyone needs to find wiring hidden in walls, just give me a call.

Brucer

No pictures, didn't happen ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

luvmexfood

While this ended ok I did want to post it for a serious reason. I see lots of guys talk about going to their cabin. Just remember this story if you go to get on the roof and no one is around or if all the individuals present get on the roof. Especially if it is a higher roof with no way off if the ladder falls.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

red oaks lumber

my moms cousin was cleaning the gutters the other evening when he lost his balance,his landing was the rock retaining wall with his head. he died en route to the hospitble. :)
hypothetical and reality is a very thin line
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Hypothetically speaking stuff happens and it is a dangerous world out there.  It's fun to joke about our near misses, but thanks luvmexfood for a sobering reminder.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!