iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new Member of the Family - LT40HDD35

Started by WDH, June 30, 2015, 09:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Happy for you Danny, very nicely done sir! 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Congrats Danny on your very professional and impressive operation.  The best deserves the best.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

78NHTFY

Very nice looking operation--and an inspiration to those of us who haven't managed to get there yet! 8) 8).  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Mooseherder

Nice setup! :)
This retirement gig keeps you pretty busy.

Tom L

good luck with the new mill!!!!

and no, you don't have nearly enough room under that shed, that thing is gonna cut

and run you out of room before you get used to it

wwsjr

Looking great Danny. Looks like a professional operation. A dust blower could be considered in the future.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

plowboyswr

Congratulations on the mill. smiley_clapping
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

YellowHammer

That is sweet.  You sure have a nice setup. I'm very happy for you!
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

okmulch

Congratulations on a very nice setup! I am going to have to get down there sometime and get the grand tour.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

petefrom bearswamp

NICE !
Great looking mill and shed layout
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Brucer

That's what my mill looked like when it was new (I forgot what new WM orange looks like :D).

Have fun!
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Nomad

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 01, 2015, 07:49:38 AM
Very nice Danny....but I know why you took the tires off the Edger.  :D :D :D :D

Yeah...   ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Larry

Looks like a professional operation to me. :)  Congratulations on the new mill...nice things come to those that work hard.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

gfadvm

What a sweet set up! I'm still wrestling all my logs with cant hooks, bad back, and bad shoulders. Does that barrel fan make a significant difference? I have one in my shop and my saw shed is open like yours (on 3 sides).  Enjoy your new mill, you've earned it!

WDH

Thanks for all the kind words.

Peter,

Walk along.  Simple set.  Debarker.  Board drag back. 

Andy,

The fan really helps. 

Some things that I have learned:

Sawing with the LT15 was a much more intimate experience.  You have more of a feel of what the blade is doing in the wood.  You are more tuned in, but I am sure that will change.

You can make mistakes twice as fast.

DO NOT hit the down lever while sawing in the cut with the computer setworks.  Very bad things happen.  One has the tendency to hit the wrong lever or button as one is learning what to do, and sometime learning is not fun.

Hydraulic toe boards are great as long as you lower them down after you turn the log.  I have invented a few new geometric shapes with the new mill.  Toe boards allow you to make some very creative cuts, even if you did not intend to be creative. 

The debarker is a love-hate device.  One must swing the debarker out before returning the head after a cut.  One must do this every time or bad things happen.

One must have good footing and be fleet of foot when reversing the head because that things screams back and you could get runt-over.

There is an art to turning very small, sweepy, dog-legged, fence row, cherry logs with the hydraulics.  They (the little logs) fight back.   

With the LT15, little logs were aggravating.  With the LT40, little logs are awful and cause one to have repent for bad vocabulary every night. 

I love 4 degree blades.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Maybe get a chair like MM and Me you won't get run over and you can see the grade well from the seat.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

No thank you.  I am not a Seat Man. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on July 01, 2015, 10:14:59 PM
No thank you.  I am not a Seat Man. 

After walking for miles and walking in the sawdust [which is like walking in snow] you might want a seat. You will get used to it, easy to step off.

I do wish you the best of luck with the new mill. 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

isawlogs

Félicitation mon ami!!!!

Nice rig , glad to see you upgrading to a hydraulic mill. I also have a seat, never could get used to it, gave me back pain and getting on and off got old real quick when sawing alone.

Marcel.   :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

petefrom bearswamp

I have made all of the mistakes listed by dan plus a few more.
Chuck White noticed the chainsaw cut in the cross piece on the loader arms as soon as he looked at my old mill before buying it as well as cuts in the side supports.
Dont make as many as I used to but still....
Has anyone started a post listing all the mistakes which can be with a mill?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

customsawyer

I see the competetion is stepping up. I am going to have to add to my shed and get a bigger mill now. Thanks Danny. :D :D
Congrats on the new mill and that is one fine setup.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Sixacresand

I overlooked this thread and messaged Danny about his new mill.  I do like the pictures. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!