iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone ever heard of a sash mill

Started by Fla._Deadheader, September 15, 2004, 06:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Went to see the guy that was stealing our log grade, when we first started this water logging thing. He was paying $2.00 bdft in the log for "Nice" logs. We only had 2 nice logs out of 300 ??? Ennyhoo, he just offered us $2.00 for SAWN lumber, mostly true vertical, with "some" flat sawn. Said he never paid us $2.00 OR the $1.50 that we got for all the other 298 logs ??? Maybe now y'all can see what a liar and thief this guy is ???   BTW, his log yard is practically empty.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
   Said he really needs Cypress, and wants to buy (STEAL) our stuff ???  ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D  I'm going to wait for HIM to call ME.  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ennyhoo again, he was showing us some Heart Pine that was run through a mini sash mill, to resaw into what appeared to be heavy ¼" boards ???  He plans to glue the stuff to other material and produce laminated flooring. ???

Get the message that he has depleted the Heart Pine in this area ???  ;) ;)  Guess what, we HAVE some stashed away in the river, which is, BTW, nearly out of it's banks. It is up over 2' from normal and over 3½' from where it was all spring and summer.???

Boy, can I ramble or what ??????

Back to the original question. What does a sash mill look like??? Anyone ever operate one ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bro. Noble

A sash mill has a rectangular frame (like a window sash)  with multiple blades fastened to it vertically. The sash goes up and down and the material is fed through the sash.  I think they use them some in Europe.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Cedarman

Saw one at the IWF show in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. The thing was real pricey.  Could cut thick stock into thin, very smooth boards.  Feed rate was about 4 per minute. It would be great on high value wood that you needed sawn into 1/8 inch thick or thicker.  I saw one at Cedarworks in Peebles Ohio several years ago.  You can put a slew of blades in it and make 10, 20 or more boards per pass. ( I think you can put that many in)
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Swede

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Fla._Deadheader

This place NEVER ceases to amaze me. Even got a link from the Swede. Thanks, Swede. Anybody ever see one for sale ???  ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

D._Frederick

The big mills of 25-30 years ago use to have a saw called a SWEDEIS Gang Saw that they would run cant through,it operated like the one in the Swede post. It was too slow and the mills now have gone to circle type saws.

Swede

Yes, sash saws are slow, but using a band saw mill at the same time for making beams and perhaps some boards and then put the beam on the sach......... ::) It´s feeding it selfe so you can work with the band saw mill most of the time.

As a young boy I worked for a short time on a lumber yard, there was a cirkel gang saw, think it had 4 to 6 blades on the same rear. You could set the thickness of every board with mecanical levers. It was really fast. I´ve been looking for one for a while.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)

mur

I run a Marathon sash gang saw to break cants down into wall panel blanks.  They are slow compared to the newer equipment but they can put out a lot of wood in a short time.  The last time I ran the sash, we cut and stacked 1900 bf of aspen in an hour and five minutes from a cold start.   The molder loves the very accurate blanks.  The saw was built in 1955.  
Don't dream it, be it.

Wife

They are fun to watch if you have time up your sleve :D.
I first saw a big one working in south africa on their hardwoods. Shook the floor like you wouldn't believe, but still done the job.
I then set up the Peterson which they purchased to break down them BIG logs(4-7ft dia) and the place came to a holt.
Normal question from the locals, how can that little blade cut though that big log.
We showed them 8).
Chris
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

Fla._Deadheader

Wish I had access to a BIG Peterson right now !!!

There is a Costa Rican "Ear Tree" (Enterolobium cyclocarpum), that blew over during the storm. It is 50' high, with 125' long limbs. The TRUNK is 13' dia.  8) 8)  Can't figger a way to get it up on "Homey", so, we needs a Peterson.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Swede

Fla.D. Have U heard about BLOWING?  ;D

Make a deep track with a chain saw,
let some gunpowder in and blow it apart. Homey would be happy get that food! Think there is some extra vitamins in that tree.

Swede.

Fla._Deadheader

:o :o Swede. If I was to set off a charge like that, I would be writing from behind bars. :( ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

VA-Sawyer

FDH,
Are those dimensions on the "ear tree" yours or the customers ?  ;D
VA-Sawyer

Fla._Deadheader

Measurements right off the press. They wouldn't be wrong ::) ::)

E-mailed the gal that wrote the story. So far, no response. Bet I hear something a week from now, after the tree goes to the landfill ???   ::) ::) >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Swede

Fla._D. I´m happy to hear You are still outside them bars!  :D I hope You can find a way to save that tree from the landfill. Don´t know anything about that wood but think it´s too many BF to dump.

Gilman; Have no pics and never get need for gunpowder yet,  but know some oak a cirkle miller asked me to saw for him.  Dia. is more than 40", think thats more difficult than to saw 33' long logs on a 19' saw mill..
Heard about how some people in the US use to do, thats why I told Deadheader about it.......

Swede.

Swede

Visited a man far out the forest last Sunday.  He had a regular cirkular sawmill but also a sash mill. A HORISONTAL sash mill, made in Germany.  One blade cuting in both directions coupled by a bar to a big wheel/crank and driven from a truck engine.  Think he can saw logs more than Ø 50".
It was too cold to stay outside but in a couple of months I´ll be there again.

Please, tell me not to forget  my old Canon camera at home that day!

Swede.

ibbob

Gilman,

Wish I could show ya some pics.  Just haven't figured out how to take them from behind the log truck with both hands over my ears.  :o
Bob

Ianab

Actually... back to the original question...

Here's a picture of a sash mill  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!