iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't tell PETA

Started by Jeff, June 30, 2015, 12:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I had been noticing chipmunks coming out of the engine compartment of my truck, my sawmill, our barn, the neighbors barn that is right on the edge of our line, and also noticed some plants getting destroyed and holes in the ground all over the place. I decided to thin them a little. I figured if I could get 4 or 5 of them it would take care of the problem.  3 weeks ago I set out my 5 gallon pail half full of water with sunflower sees floating in it. I added two more pails on different parts of our property. Maybe 200 feet at the most between them.

I just came in from checking my traps today. As of today, in 3 weeks and one day, I have caught 111.1 of the little buggers!! (the point one was a mouse)  I'm still seeing just as many of them running around as I did before I started and even more holes dug around the yard.  Holy crap. Clearly, if you see 2, you have twenty.  The most I have caught at one time, in one bucket, having missed one day of checking, as I usually check a couple times a day, was 10 chipmunks. Today I had 3 in one pail, and one each in the others.  I hate to have to do this, but they are destructive little buggers to say the least.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BradMarks

That's a lot of body bags :o :o :o :o :o :o

Jeff

If I had know from the start, I could have made me a blanket!  :D

beenthere

Good for you and good for the neighborhood (but not the monks' hood).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

justallan1

Just sounds like dirt-less gardening to me. It's not your fault the little bat rastards clumb in and tried to them seeds. 8)
That's just part of life how I grew up.

JJ

better check your engine compartment.
I had chipmunks fill my air box of my Toyota chock full of acorns. 
Found out when I did not have power to pass somebody going 40mph, and was looking under hood to figure out why.
Thank goodness for air filter.

I also had a ford expedition (same time) and the little buggers filled the top of the hood insulation with so many acorns, I could barely lift the hood.
Had to get wife to hold the hood release while I lifted.

JJ

WV Sawmiller

Many years ago I rescued one from our cat and kept it in a bird cage in the house and the day I was going to release it I found it had escaped. I was heading back overseas to work and my wife raised sand about it loose in the house. My son caught it a couple days later then it escaped a week or so after that. Went through the Thxgiving and Christmas holidays with 2 cats and 3 dogs in the house with no sign of Simon. Then one day wife and son sitting watching TV and it came out of portable dishwasher and ran to dogfood dish and started stuffing dog food in cheeks. Son grabbed for it and he munk had got so fat he could not get inside quick enough. They took dishwasher apart and found 25 lbs of dry dogfood stored in there.

Gave Simon to a friend and come Spring she released it. I wonder now if chipmunk what filled my ATV with acorns last year? That's gratitude for you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

The truck in the woods, that had not been ran in about two months, got an oil change and going over this month. The air filter box was plum full of acorns.

GAB

So sorry to hear that the little buggers failed their swimming lessons.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

gww

I am just glad to get the bucket with water and sunflower seed ideal.
Thanks
gww

clww

I don't think I've seen 111 in my life! :o I see a few each year at the cabin property, but not that many.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Peter Drouin

I have never had a problem with them, They make a hole the size of a golf ball in the ground and don't bother anything here.
This is alvin

And Jr.  :D :D :D
And yes I do feed them. :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

At our place, Chipmunks, Red Squirrels, Gray Squirrels & Starlings are TARGETS!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

111.1 and counting is astounding. :o  With no natural predators, I guess there is nothing to keep them in check. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

And like I said, no sign that I have dented them yet.

thecfarm

111,that's a mighty lot.   :o
I had a cat that would caught one just about every week. I always said there is not a chipmuck in a square mile of this place.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

we have a lot of the cute little buggers, don't seem to cause much for problems
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

goose63

Thy don't stand a chance here I now have 14 hungry cats that I know of :o
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Peter Drouin

And I think it's mice that put acorns in things. Alven lives in the ground.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jeff

You'd be wrong there. Alvin stores nuts everywhere. Believe me, we have plenty to observe. They don't just live in the ground. They will live in your house when they chew through your soffit. I've trapped several out of the house with rat traps after they get in. If you try and nail them out, if they had young in your house, they will chew through what ever they have to to get back in again.  They will chew wiring out of a truck or sawmill and they will make holes in the ground that can break your ankle.

Left Coast Chris

I had the same problem with raccoons.   It was a good day for me and the dog (bitten up) when I found a way to take care of the problem and keep them alive.    Not sure if you could live trap the monks.  You would need a pretty high number of traps getting one at a time.  Maybe try the bucket trap without water if they cannot climb out (?)   Next step is finding someone or somewhere to take them.   Not easy either way.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Peter Drouin

You must have some bad ass ones out there.  :D
I have never had them in the house or barn.
But there seems to be a lot of them this year. I do have a red fox running around after them.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

The biggest problem we have here with chipmunks is that they tunnel under the swimming pool and then their tunnel will collapse and we have a divet in the bottom of the pool.

Just reminded by Left Coast Chris' post, we don't tollerate raccoons here either, they ravage our bird feeders!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gww

All these animals are neat if you see them in a brush pile in the woods or from your dearstand.  When they kill your chickens, eat your stored food, eat the fruit off your trees or chew on things, they are no longer fun or cute.  It is a risk moving problims cause it may become someone elses problim then.  Sometimes it becomes an us or them thing and even then the amimals win as often as I do.
gww

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!