iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with wide belt sander

Started by woodbe, June 29, 2015, 07:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbe

I picked up a Jet JWB-37 wide belt sander and it is missing the platen. I have looked all over the net and am unable to find the replacement. It has the upper dove tail mount but the whole bottom has been removed. The sander is a late 80's and blue in color. I had to replace all of the air lines do to rotting out but after that it all seems to work. I hopping one of you may have a Grizzly 37" sander and be willing take a picture of how the platen is set up on your machine. It looks the same in the parts diagram but real life would be better. I am open to ideas.

Gary_C

I did not know that wide belt sanders used a platen. All the Timesavers I've seen had just a large roll the sanding belt went over. Or is this platen used for something else?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

woodbe

Here is a picture of what the platen should slide on. The platen is used for fine sanding and to help with marks that may be left from the drum only. The sander can be used without a platen but I would like to have one if there is ever a need. From what I have seen they can be run in the up position and have no affect on the sanding process.

One more question for all of you. I would like to put the sander on casters and it is 2800 lb. I was looking at the Steelex 6" casters good for 880 lb so four would do. That just leaves the question of could a guy make it role without help. So I guess the question would be can one guy role 2800 lb on 6" casters on a smooth concrete shop floor safely by himself.

bkaimwood

Sure...I have a 3k lb sawhead that rolls on 4 casters pushing it with not much more than one hand, courtesy of McMaster Carr...
bk

woodbe

That is a very good point. I'm in the same boat my saw isn't that heavy but still moves quite easy. Thanks for your input.

low_48

Sorry, haven't been on the forum for a while. You might check with Grizzly for the part. It will take some digging, but they probably get their machines from the same factory that made this for Jet. Maybe even check some parts manuals on Grizzly's site.

scsmith42

I move my 37" EMC with a pallet jack.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

woodbe

I did contact Grizzly about the parts. They could not give me any measurements of the part. If I go by the parts break down  it looks promising so I may just get the part and hope for the best. I did get the casters ordered from a local parts house. They are 6" and good for 1200 lb each  so hopefully 4800  will work out ok.  I will add pictures of the casters and mounting hardware when I get the chance. Finally got my phase converter  powered up today in my home shop. I was able run it up and test it with the Sander  over at the warehouse that the Sander is stored. It all sounded good  and ran up fine so home it went. Don't you just love new tools?!!! ;D  Thank you for the feedback.I will add more pictures as I go along.

oakiemac

I've got an older 36" WBS that has a platen. I haven't used it yet with the platen because I'm still ironing out all the issues with this old machine. Ill take a picture of it for you. I did buy new cork for it but haven't even installed it. My machine looks very similar to yours but its not a Jet- I cant remember what brand it is at the moment.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

woodbe

A pic would be great. Is your spacer  tight fitting? The one that came with the Sander is so tight to get it in place I had two just lift up on the sanding head just a little then it will slide rite in.

woodbe

I managed to get the casters under the Sander and it will move but it will take two people. I was able to move it around but just about bust a button getting it done. We will see how it works out.

Thank You Sponsors!