iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1979 international s8a pay logger hard starting

Started by concretecutter, June 29, 2015, 06:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

concretecutter

Hi guys just bought a 79 international s8a real good tight machine low hours original 6 cylinder 360 motor I believe new head gasket within the last 1000 hours but she is a bear to get started warm or cold only wants to start on either runs real good at idle sounds good oil pressure gauge reads 50 at idle and 80 at high rev I cleaned the tank out and put new filters on I thought maybe it had a weak injector pump so I put an inline electric pump on the fuel line didn't seem to make a difference battery's and battery cables are all brand new what are your thoughts spins pretty fast so I don't think it's the starter.

Autocar

360 is that a gas motor ? If it is check the timing by loosening the rotor and try turning it one way or the other real slow as someone cranks it over. I use to have a few gas engines and finding the sweet spot is the answer sometimes.
Bill

concretecutter

overtime

I went through that with my s8 with a 360 and  the starter seemed like it was turning it over good but I decided to have it rebuilt anyways that was the problem started good after that until it started getting water in the base this spring now I have a 360 turbo from a truck seems to be working fine so far

Gearbox

If that engine was rebuilt more than once and the shop ground the valves down into the head it will lower compresion enough to make them hard to start . I had a 3616 backhoe that I took the head off and told the machine shop to put in new valves and seats they didn't . Just ground the valves . that thing would not start without the either can . Pulled the head again went to another shop and new seats and valves then it started better . Still never liked to start cold 40 degrees either can . Hope this helps Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

concretecutter

Just curious what did it cost to rebuild it.(overtime) that might make sense all new cables and they still seem to get scorching hot turning over for a few seconds.

coxy

if cables are getting that hot  sounds like starter drag to me

Maine logger88

Does that have a roosamaster/stanadyne pump or a ambac 100?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

concretecutter

The pump says renewed international harvester seems to be the original pump

overtime

cost about 140-150 to rebuild you either have starter drag or possible a bad ground mine has 3 grounds 2 from motor to frame and one in the battery box the injection pump on my 360 was ambac 100

treeslayer2003

my s8 has a 358 and bosch pump. never had any trouble starting unless it sat long enough for the fuel to run back.

Maine logger88

Yeah I don't know on the ambac pump I've been around a fair amount but never any with problems but the stanadyne/roosamaster pumps the head on them will sometimes get weak and they won't start for crap. I have know idea if that's even related to your problem or not. I do know when they get worn out they will sometimes start fine cold then once hot you can't start them back up
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

concretecutter

Thanks overtime for telling me that the engine has two grounds one looks to be busted off and missing. What would the reason for having two be.

Gearbox

Those + &- cables need to be the biggest battery cable you can get . I have seen problems from using cables off a car . They just won't handle the amps . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

rockwall

The other day my clark 664 wouldn't start, it didn't even turn over. Well come to find out the lower nut that holds the ground connection from the starter case to the solenoid had loosened, tightened it up and it took right off. Of course I had already taken the starter out to test it when I discovered the loose nut. Oh well.

HiTech

Perhaps someone had the injector pump off and didn't put it back on right. If the timing is off a little that will make it hard starting. Even a tooth or two will cause problems.

John Woodworth

If you are using either that means the previous owner also had to have, improper use takes the upper edges off the compression rings, if I where you I'd do a compression test on it if you starter checks out ok. Could be the reason for starter problems, down on compression.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

concretecutter

Has anyone ever seen a repair manual or owners manual for this skidder nothing showing up online

treeslayer2003

Quote from: concretecutter on July 01, 2015, 09:51:57 PM
Has anyone ever seen a repair manual or owners manual for this skidder nothing showing up online
i have an owners and parts book to mine.

concretecutter

Thanks everyone for the help I replaced all my ground wires and it started right up and I just found a repair manual on the skidder on Amazon took a while but there out there.

treeslayer2003

Thank You Sponsors!