iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3" Persimmon Slabs

Started by WDH, June 28, 2015, 09:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Had a guy call me and offer to sell me some 3" persimmon slabs from a tree taken down at a crossroads by the GA DOT.  He found me on my website where I have some persimmon lumber listed for sale.  He said that he hated to see it cut up into small pieces and hauled the landfill.  So, he had it slabbed 3" thick (he is a bowl turner) and wanted to keep some and sell the rest.

I have done well with selling persimmon to the hand plane makers, a croquet mallet head maker, a golf club maker, and a luthier.  It was about a 2 1/2 hour drive, but I wanted to see the slabs.  It was a large tree, about 25" in diameter according to the seller, and that is a big one.  There were about 20 slabs ranging in width from about 14" up to about 22" wide and 3" thick and in length from 4' to 7'.  Here is what I found when I got there.

I have never seen figure like that in persimmon.  It is in the Ebony family, so I knew that it would have a black pith and black spots at the branch nodes.  This stuff looks like black flames.  Anybody seen figure like this in persimmon?

I don't buy lumber, I saw, dry, and sell it.............  I bought them all  :).

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gfadvm

Very pretty!  That was well worth the trip! I can't find any persimmons big enough to saw here. Ours get about 6" in diameter, really tall, and then die:(

WDH

Apparently it is not commonly commercially available.  I get quite a few calls for it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

okmulch

Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

fishpharmer

Not everyday you get a chance to buy the world champion persimmon ;) 8). Wow! Thats nice!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Larry

The most black I've seen in persimmon is about a 2 - 3" circle in a 12" log.  I know such logs existed, as a past forum member told me he used to saw a lot of it many years ago with black hearts.  If I remember right he said the market was golf clubs. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jemclimber

That's beautiful!! Are you going to resell or do you have a project in mind?
lt15

customsawyer

You aren't making me feel any better about what we did with that persimmon at my house. :(
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Jake,

We let it slip through our fingers like picking up sand on the beach.  We need a good flogging with a persimmon limb. 

Jason,

I will keep some for a few projects, and most likely kiln dry, plane, and sell the rest. 

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on June 28, 2015, 09:01:56 PMI don't buy lumber, I saw, dry, and sell it.............  I bought them all  :).
Yup, there is a proper time to adjust your business plan.  You did good!!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Danny, been in the South all my life. I have never seen Persimmon like this.
Any chance of me buying a slab from you?
I have more than enough here for legs. Would make a great hallway table.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

You can have the one that looks like a goat  :D. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 29, 2015, 08:33:38 PM
You can have the one that looks like a goat  :D.

I do see one slab with the profile of a cat on it.  :)

Peter Drouin

I don't have trees like that here. With the black, It looks like it was dead stacked and forgotten about and stained. I just don't see what you guys see. :-\
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 29, 2015, 08:39:07 PM
OK, Pine Man  ;D.

Ooooooo.......he told you Peter.  :D :D :D :D

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 29, 2015, 09:03:10 PM
Quote from: WDH on June 29, 2015, 08:39:07 PM
OK, Pine Man  ;D. 

That be Pine AND Hemlock Man. ;D

:D :D :D :D   I still will buy a slab.....cause I SEE IT!

WDH

Hemlock Man (with shake). 

I like it  :D. 

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 29, 2015, 08:37:43 PM
I don't have trees like that here. With the black, It looks like it was dead stacked and forgotten about and stained. I just don't see what you guys see. :-\

They grow like that, although the amount of black and striped stuff seems to vary. The wood is a pain in the a.. to dry without it pretzeling a bit. Once you get it dry the wood is hard and really smooth and can be brought to a fine polish. I really like it, but it has its limitations. Moves almost as bad as red gum eucalyptus.

Pretty neat. One of two native true ebony species. The other one , Texas persimmon, grows in south Texas south into Mexico. Really more of a big bush or small tree. That one is supposed to be blacker. I have grown them but never cut one. Purple/black fruits, nearly 1" that ripen in the heat of summer. Very yummy without the astringency of the widespread American persimmon.

Ebonies are cool. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on June 29, 2015, 09:29:23 PM
Hemlock Man (with shake). 

I like it  :D. 

But I can see the shake And know it's junk. I can look in the dooryard and find black wood, I don't have to go miles and miles away to find it. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 29, 2015, 09:43:34 PM
I don't have to go miles and miles away to find it. :D

I do.....I will still buy a slab Danny.  :D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 29, 2015, 09:49:52 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 29, 2015, 09:43:34 PM
I don't have to go miles and miles away to find it. :D

I do.....I will still buy a slab Danny.  :D

Maybe if your nice he will send you a Little peace in a box like buckeye did, No whate, we'll have a contest.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

You could send him a pine and hemlock slab  ;D.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 30, 2015, 07:36:49 AM
You could send him a pine and hemlock slab  ;D.

And I'll take a Shake with that.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!