iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oilless Compressors

Started by luvmexfood, June 28, 2015, 06:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

My 18 year old Campbell Hausfield quit the other day. Could hear the motor run but nothing else. Finally to the top off the compressor yesterday and looked down in it. Can't see a single thing that is not broken and laying in a heap.

The motor is a 5 hp with a high CFM and I would really like to save it. How hard are these to work on. Parts are still shown on website but haven't priced yet. Sort of afraid I might miss one piece.

Wish they just made the compressor as a complete assembly to bolt on the motor but looks like that is not an option.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Magicman

Could be something simple like trash under a valve, valve spring, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

luvmexfood

My post may not have been clear. It looks like a bomb went off in the compressor. Piston, rod, cylinder liner fan everything broken into pieces. Been looking and some parts may not be available. Will call them Monday and see if they make a compressor that bolts to this motor.

Magicman

:-X  You were clear, but with my eyes, can't became can, and I totally misread.   :P 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

You certainly got your money's worth. Check out parts price and availability but you will likely find a new unit would be more economical. Look for an oil lubricated belt drive unit with a cast iron pump in the buy and sell or at an auction, they are a lot quieter
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LAZERDAN

Believe it or not, they have great customer service.  I've got 27 years on mine, they've always been helpful...Good Luck       Lazerdan

justallan1

I agree with sawguy21 in the idea of just replacing the unit altogether and before I replaced the compressor head on the old one I'd certainly pull the plug on the tank and take a look at how good of shape it's in.
I don't know exactly when Campbell Hausfield started slacking on their stuff, but I don't feel it's anything like it was years ago.

luvmexfood

Magicman. Know how the reading thing goes. Driving down the road the other day approaching a grocery store on the big sign out front I see Police Creme. Wondering what that was when I got closer it was Pet Ice Creme. And I had my glasses on. Guess it's about time to go check on some new ones.

As far as replacing the unit I have thought about that. Looked at Lowe's and everthing was Kobalt. Big plastic cowling covering the compressor like it was something. Look behind the plastic and just a small compressor with very little CFM output. HF has one but I don't know about there quality but then again not much out there anymore that is of good quality.

21incher

I had a couple of year old Sears oilless 33 gallon compressor that self destructed like that and the parts to fix it were more then I paid for the whole compressor. I went to harbor freight and bought a oil type pump that was rated for 3 hp, mounted a old 1 hp compressor rated motor on it using the existing pressure switch and it puts out a lot more air then the 5 hp oilless pump that came on it. It only cost me about $80.00 with a coupon to buy the compressor head. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Randy88

We've replaced compressor heads only to end up a few years later with a rusted out air tank, I'd never do it again, but a whole new unit, if this one isn't very old and failed, but another brand and start over. 

redprospector

It's hard to find a compressor in this class that's not made in China any more. I've given up, if I'm going to have to buy a Chinese tool, I don't want to pay a price like it's something special. I run a gasoline powered compressor mostly, and I bought one from HF when I realized that the others I was looking at were made in China too, and about 3 times the price. That compressor lasted 8 hard years before it started giving me any problems. I went back to HF and bought another one, and sold the old one for 1/2 of what I gave for the new one.
I don't like buying tools and equipment that's made in China. I believe it hurts the strength and economy of our own country. But it is real hard to find much that's actually made here anymore.
Oh, one thing I like less than buying tools and equipment that's made in China is buying a name brand tool at a premium price, and then finding out that it was made in China when I get home...like the Craftsman tool set I bought last week.  >:(
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

shinnlinger

18 years is a long time and unless you were real religious with your draining, might be time to move on.  I have found oiless compressors to be rather noisy and now have a decent sized quincy with Amsoil in it and have been happy with it.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

submarinesailor

I needed a compressor for one short project, so I went to Harbor Freight and brought a small oil one they had on sale.  It performed just fine.  After that job was over, I decided to change the oil over to AMSOIL compressor oil.  It is still running after 15 years without an oil change.  I think I paid $80.00 for it.

Bruce

easymoney

i would not buy a oilless compressor unless i was just going to occasionally pump up a tire. if you need a compressor to use on a daily basis bite the bullet and buy a good quality belt driven compressor. they run much quieter and cooler. i have a 5 hp compressor that was made in 1953. it makes more air than any of my air tools uses. i drain the tank and check the oil once a year whether it needs it or not.

woodmills1

oil less compressors have plastic pistons and rings...............................
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DDDfarmer

I saw the Campbell Hausfield 5hp oil-less air compressor at work floating around with the motor in the water for 8+ hours one day ;D  Next day I drained all the water I could and poured some oil into the compressor and plugged it in, for some reason it ran a little noisy for a few days.  It's used everyday and has been post-flood for almost 4 years.

Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Josef

You might check out Jenny air compressors out of Somerset PA if you're looking for a quality air compressor made in the USA. I have several of their air compressors, stationary and gas portable, bought them in '93 and '94 (they were still "Emglo" back then), still going strong. They manufacture the complete unit in house, compressor, tanks and frames.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Thank You Sponsors!