iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End Grain Sealing

Started by Brad_bb, June 28, 2015, 12:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Applying end grain sealer with a Brush is just too slow.  Spraying with a garden sprayer doesn't work so well because it comes out as a stream and not a spray.  So I'm combining and doing this for faster sealing.

https://youtu.be/x8a-uY-IVMQ
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

drobertson

nice little video there brad, I have wondered many times if something like a power spray painter or power roller would work,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bkaimwood

Great suggestion!!! I've been doing this for awhile, accidentally discovering how much time it would save. I used this technique on a few walnut logs I knew I couldn't get to soon enough...when I finally got around to sawing them, all the sawed lumber was already sealed!!! Plus no mess on other stickered surrounding lumber!!! Now if only I could find a way to shortcut cleaning, stickering, and stacking it, I could actually get some sawing done!!!
bk

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don_Papenburg

Brad , do a little modify to your sprayer wand , go to the farm store or ag sprayer dealer in your area and get a larger 80 degree flat fan spray tip and any connections needed. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Brad_bb

The sprayer came with 4 different tips.  None will spray, anchorseal is just too thick.  With an actual spray you might get overspray.  The stream is good and is quite controllable.  It's about getting the material on quickly and relatively evenly and just spreading it with the brush.  Dipping a brush in a cup of sealer and applying to the log takes way way too long.  Another good thing is that you can leave the Anchorseal in the sprayer for a long time.  A little might dry on the end of the tip, but it's easy enough to just wipe or pick off and you're good to go.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

In case you are not aware, AnchorSeal sells a backpack sprayer that does work for both the original and AS2.  They also have various bigger sprayers too.  Perhaps your sprayer is too constricted prior to the nozzle.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

scsmith42

Brad, that's a good tip; thanks for sharing!

I have two different setups that work rather well.  The first is the U.S. Coatings sprayer that Gene referenced, the second is a standard SOLO backpack sprayer that I modified.  The modification consisted of plumbing a handle from a pressure washer onto the discharge hose from the sprayer, which allows me to swap out nozzles.  We use this sprayer primarily for spraying a boric acid solution on large slabs, as well as to spray an anti-fungal agent (Premier) on lumber that will be in a kiln for several months.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dboyt

Why would you end-coat hedge fence posts :D?  Place where I used to deliver lumber for flooring would use a backpack sprayer with anchor seal as soon as they got you unloaded.  Looks like a good quick way to end coat the logs.  Thanks for posting.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: scsmith42 on June 30, 2015, 09:12:50 AM
as well as to spray an anti-fungal agent (Premier) on lumber that will be in a kiln for several months.

Scott, can you share a link on this anti fungal agent Premier?

I would like to know more about it.

Thanks

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

bkaimwood

It's amazing what you can do with cheap tractor supply sprayer tips and a REALLY small drill bit from your local hardware store...food for thought...experimentation goes a long way here, for cheap...
bk

Brad_bb

The Anchorseal backpack is a little more than I need right now.  I'm not doing enough to justify it.  After what I've tried, I'm not sure an actual spray would be any better.  Would I get overspray?  I don't have any overspray now.  What the stream and back and forth motion does is get the sealer on quickly and evenly.  Then it only takes a few seconds to spread it with the brush. 

dboyt, what you don't see is that those are actually curved and about 5-6 feet long.  The video makes them look a little smaller than they are.  I was able to cut 2 three 3.25 inch thick timberframe braces from each one, and remove the pith.  I sealed the ends because they are now drying in my barn for later use.  They are sealed to slow end drying and reduce checking.

The sides still need to be trimmed in the band saw later.  I'm probably not leaving a live edge.

drobertson

Nice slabs there Brad, I still am thinking a roller would be quicker with more coverage.  Again never done it just thought about it. keep up the good work there man.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Oliver05262

Yes, a roller would be quicker, but with the setup he's using, he can do one log or a load of them, and then put the rig and brush away with little or no waste or cleanup.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Brad_bb

That's right Oliver 05262. A roller would start to dry out as soon as you stopped.  If you had a roller tray then you have another thing to clean up and left over (waste) anchorseal in the tray.  A roller is also too big and awkward to get into irregular areas.  If the log is not cut flush, but has a hinge, or disjointed cut, the brush can get in all the areas where a roller cannot.

Magicman

Personally, I thought Brad' method was very efficient.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!