iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drag Saws

Started by Stephen_Wiley, September 14, 2004, 09:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen_Wiley

Anyone have or operated a drag saw?

They were a little before my time, but I remember one fella back in the 80's who had three of them in the Milwaukie  OR area. I often wondered what became of them.

For those of you who have an interest here are a few web sites of interest:

www.americanartifacts.com/smma/dragsaw/0516.gif

www.americanartifacts.com/smma/dragsaw/0514.gif

www.herculesengines.com/hercules/hercnews0299.html
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

sprucebunny

None of the links worked for me ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Stephen_Wiley

Sorry, I tried and had problems as well :(

Try this:http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/dragsaw/dragsaw.htm

Then click on the names on the left hand side in the blue column, scroll down to Lalonde and Giles

D._Frederick

Steve,

I have a WADE LightWeight drag saw. The frame is wood and it has a 2cycle water cooled engine. It has a "mag" for ignition, some of the early ones needed a drycell battery. I would guess that it was made in the forties, just before the chain saw started to show up. They would keep up with a chain saw in sawing fir from 30inch and up when making 16 inch fire wood.

There are a few around that appear at fairs and at the Steam UP  at Brook, Ore.

Jeff

I love my drag saws! :)  I have two. a folding saw machine and an Ottawa.  I have a line on a Harris saw machine that in a week or two Harold and I are going to go scout up.

Here is the ottawa

Here is the folding saw machine, in its honored spot on our mantle. Its sharp and cuts well. ;D

Duane had acquired a dragsaw for me out west but was never able to get it to me. Don't know what happened to it. I hope it goes somewhere where it will be appreciated.
 Here is a link to the picture of it from the auction where he purchased it.
http://www.letshaveanauction.net/consign060504/gallery/sawDSC00139.jpg
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stephen_Wiley

D. Frederick - as soon as I can I will have to make another visit, would like to see your saw. Not certain how I missed talking or seeing it on the last visit.  BTW, RMwade.com is the address for the Wade saw which is still in business.

Jeff - Would you like me to inquire about the saw?

Jeff

Not really sure if thats the right thing to do. I do wish I knew  whether his family would be interested in visiting and see some of what Duane left us here. They might not know that there is a record here of quite a few things from Duane and a record of how many friends he made across the world. I thought about trying to call or send a note but cant figure out what to say. I am worried instead of them getting any comfort, it would just stir up still settling emotions.

Ianab

Jeff
I think sending a note just to say that Duane was a valued member of the forum and a great friend is a good idea. Mention that all his posts are still here, they can choose to visit or not. He may have written things here that he never mentioned even to his close family. I had a similar thing a few years back when another online friend died of leukemia in her late 20s  :( Things she had told her close friends online that she had never mentioned to her own family. You are right it's a tough one, but a brief thoughtfull note should not go amiss, and gives them the option of making more contact.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

D._Frederick

Steve,

That saw that Jeff has a link to is tha exact saw that I have, stop by if you want to see it.

Stephen_Wiley

Jeff,

I do think a letter is appropiate and I am certain would be welcomed by the family.

The letter explaining the many that Duane's life influenced while on the forum would serve as a further honor and memorial to his family. Often after a loss we find comfort in knowing the importance that our loved one had upon others especially ones we personaly do not know.

Jeff

Here is a video clip of my manual powered drag saw last summer.  :)
https://forestryforum.com/media/mandrag.MPG

Does anyone happen to have a mailing address for Duane's Family? If so, could you send it to me? All I ever got was for the church.

Stephen_Wiley

Jeff,

Just sent you an email, will have all the information you need for Duane.

ohsoloco

I know it's been a LONG time since I've posted anything.  I've been around quite a bit, just a "silent member."  I've also been planning to start posting again soon, but definitely didn't plan on mentioning this...especially on a post about drag saws.  

Jeff, it sounds like you will be contacting Duane's family, and I really hope you do.  I lost one of my brothers about five months ago...he was just 33 years old  :'(    When he was in the service he spent over a year in Germany, England, and Ireland...he used to tell us about all the people he met over there.  Well, about a month ago we started getting letters from some of his friends, along with pictures of Joe with all of his friends.  It was really great to see those pics of him...being able to visualize the stories he used to tell us.  Sure, it's really sad, and it always will be...but it's nice to remember the good aspects of it as well.  I managed to read quite a few of Duane's posts, and he brought a lot of good to this forum.  It  would be nice to share that with his family  :)

So, that's my really bad news...but I'll soon be talking about my really good news as well...with some questions posted right here in the forestry and logging area  ;D   It's nice to be back  ;)

Fla._Deadheader

Been wondering where ya been, loco. Sorry to hear the bad news.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

Hey Jeff, good to see ya. :)

Frank_Pender

Yep, I have three Wade"s. 8)
Frank Pender

Stephen_Wiley

Got get em out to play with, Frank! ;D

Haven't seen you on here most of the week, was begining to wonder if your were on a large contract, started your building project or under the weather. ???

Might have to get D's  Vaughn to compare with your Wade's.

Frank_Pender

I am having one of the three, that is in better shape, being rebuilt. 8)  I am out of the weather today. 8)   I gave the newest house sawing job to Loren a week ago. ;D  I hauled Big Leaf Maple and Western Red Cedar yesterday to be used in a new house in town later this Fall.  :) The building project is on hold for a bit. :'( Early this morning I hauld materials for the Watershed group I work with.  They just gave up the fun due to the heavy rains this morning. :'(
Frank Pender

Stephen_Wiley

ohsoloco;

Sorry to hear about your brother's loss.  

sawguy21

Dave Challenger, who I had the great pleasure of meeting this summer, has some neat dragsaws at his Gunn Lake Museum. He does not have e-mail as far as I know but Mike Acre at Chainsaw Collectors Corner should have some pics. Daves collection is outstanding, over 375 pieces plus boxes of parts and literature.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Run across this feller in a cracker barrel. Durn them Cracker Barrels! Ya cant buy thier stuff!  My first ever glimpse of a riding drag saw!

https://forestryforum.com/images/drag81_opt.jpg

jgoodhart

Jeff, what would be the purpose of riding the saw, how would it have been driven ???

Jeff

It works lie an exercise bike. Pumping action moves the saw back and forth to buck the logs. All human powered. :)  Sure  would have liked to have that riding drag saw, but there's no way to get that.

I aint told my secret yet.  I DID find me another manual dragsaw this weekend. ;D I'm cleaning it up right now. Gotta do it pretty much one handed but I'm getting there. :)

Jeff

Here is a picture of the seat area of the riding drag saw. Its like an old tractor seat.

jgoodhart

I see it now :o, it's works like one of those swings for two kids, I wouldn't trade my chain saw for it, well maybe the Echo :D

Thank You Sponsors!