iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody cutting ties on a Mobile Dimension?

Started by CaseyK, June 26, 2015, 05:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaseyK

Looking to see if anybody is currently cutting ties on a Mobile Dimension mill and if so what type of production rate are you getting. Im building a stationary twin blade mill and was wanting to see how your infeed deck, cutting deck, and output rollers / conveyors were configured. Thanks

CaseyK
Home built automated twin blade

DanG

I have done some cogitating on this, but that's as far as I got.  I think the same sort of system they use on bandmills should work fine for loading and offbearing, but clamping is a different matter.  If you can contrive an automated version of MD's manual clamps you should be good to go.

One thing to remember when designing your clamping system is that these mills tend to lift up on the log when cutting.  You can't depend on gravity to hold the log still, especially when you're recovering that side lumber from the bottom slab. You will cut some tapered boards if it isn't dogged down well.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CaseyK

Thanks D&G
Ive got the saw decks built and for now it has manual clamps sorta like MD's but once I get the shed up and the mill cutting im hoping to build a piney woods log turner clamp and use it pull the log into the stationary clamps and hold the log secure. Its been fun trying to draw it up and figure out all the cylinder lengths and pivot points to cover the saw deck, be able to raise high enough to turn a log, and get low enough to be below the deck.
Home built automated twin blade

Thank You Sponsors!