iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Mill to Choose? (edited)

Started by Wallee, June 26, 2015, 04:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

Quote from: WIwoodworker on June 28, 2015, 11:57:47 PM
Before I bought my Peterson I was going to buy an EZ Boardwalk based on good reviews from Forestry Forum members. But to your original question I would take a TK 1220 over the Woodland Mill.
The Tk1220 is probably a way better mill. I am Still leaning highly towards a Norwood, which may change after speaking to them tomorrow for the first time. The guys at Tk seem to be top knotch, but idk if the 1220 is that much better than the lm29 and its 3k more
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

kellysguy

Well, I'll put it to you like this; I'm shocked how well my 1220 held up neglected over the last 6 or 7 years sitting on the ground, not to mention it's been outside uncovered for at least 10. That other mill looks like a nice unit but I'm certainly sold on TK's durability. I don't understand why the cross members didn't rust out. They were FULL of bark, dirt, straw, mice and Lord knows what else. To top it off, I don't think they are coated on the insides. I just don't get it and I live in a WET area too.

Cutting Edge

Quote from: Wallee on June 28, 2015, 10:51:42 PM
Quote from: ladylake on June 28, 2015, 06:56:17 AM
I'd take a look at EZ Boardwalk also for a push along mill as it will push a lot easier, maybe some EZ owners will reply.   Steve
Don't seem to have a lot of info out on the net about these, such a promotional videos and such. Is the company owned by Amish??

Good advice from ladylake... If you could see an EZ Jr. in person, it would be worth it.  MUCH more mill for your $$$. 

Yes, they are Amish owned.  I'd venture to say... the money they DON'T spend on advertising goes towards better quality materials and keeps their prices in a more affordable/appropriate range.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Bruno of NH

Ez Boardwalk is made in the US that's a plus .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

kellysguy

Wallee

Quote from: Cutting Edge on June 29, 2015, 06:24:40 AM
Quote from: Wallee on June 28, 2015, 10:51:42 PM
Quote from: ladylake on June 28, 2015, 06:56:17 AM
I'd take a look at EZ Boardwalk also for a push along mill as it will push a lot easier, maybe some EZ owners will reply.   Steve
Don't seem to have a lot of info out on the net about these, such a promotional videos and such. Is the company owned by Amish??

Good advice from ladylake... If you could see an EZ Jr. in person, it would be worth it.  MUCH more mill for your $$$. 

Yes, they are Amish owned.  I'd venture to say... the money they DON'T spend on advertising goes towards better quality materials and keeps their prices in a more affordable/appropriate range.
I will call them today as well. I take it you own one?
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

tmarch

I have the Ezboardwalk 40 and it's a great mill with many well thought out ideas incorporated.  They have been great to deal with and I have no regrets. 
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Will_Johnson

I can't ethically enter in to this conversation except to clarify that TK 1220 mills are made right here in Kansas City, MO.

Which is about as USA as it gets.  :)

Gdaddy

My dad got his TK 1220 in 06 after the hurricane, it has served us well and the customer service from TK has be great. Before he passed in '10 that little mill has cut just about every type tree to be found around here, and even several loads of treated pilings.
I am still sawing with it now and plan on using it for years to come. It might not be the biggest or the fastest, but as long as you have a strong back and good support equipment, ( tractor or loader ) and not in a hurry, IMO its a well build mill and with proper upkeep and servicing it should last for years to come.
TK 1220 mill
Massy Ferguson 40 tractor

Wallee

Quote from: tmarch on June 29, 2015, 11:45:12 AM
I have the Ezboardwalk 40 and it's a great mill with many well thought out ideas incorporated.  They have been great to deal with and I have no regrets.
I spoke with them this morning and they are getting together a quote for me as we speak. Seemed to be nice people on the phone

Bruno of NH

Will
I was talking about the woodland not your mills.
You make a great mill made in the USA
Would like to try one some day .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Wallee

Ok guys spoke with Norwood and Ezboardwalk today. Norwood was able to give me a quote and a 5% discount making the lm29 4695 out the door. I was pleased with the conversation and like what I heard. After speaking with EZ, I liked what I heard as well but he was supposed to call me back with a quote in around 2 hours and I never received a call back...... 4200 and he had to check on shipping. Not sure why they never called back though. Should I call them back in the morning?

Wallee

Ez did call me back yesterday and gave my quote. Now I am planning on calling woodmizer and seeing about a lt15. I really think a lt 15 with power feed would be nice but Idk if I want to spend that kinda money lol

Dave Shepard

I think with the mills you are looking at, you get what you pay for, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. Each bump in cost comes with some sort of feature, such as power feed, more horsepower, etc. You could get an LT15 and add the power feed at a later date.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Wallee

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 01, 2015, 12:09:52 PM
I think with the mills you are looking at, you get what you pay for, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. Each bump in cost comes with some sort of feature, such as power feed, more horsepower, etc. You could get an LT15 and add the power feed at a later date.

Well I spoke with woodmizer, and there is a woodmizer facility opening up less than an hour from my house. I have filled out paper work for a quote on a lt15 with power feed. So Maaaayybe I might get one of those.... we will see. Bonus with it would be the service and sales company being really close. Plus August 8, 2015 they are having open house and a display/clinic for new sawyers and old alike.

Magicman

Quote from: Wallee on July 01, 2015, 10:21:42 PMand there is a woodmizer facility opening up less than an hour from my house.
What town will the new WM outlet be in or close to?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on July 01, 2015, 10:47:58 PM
Quote from: Wallee on July 01, 2015, 10:21:42 PMand there is a woodmizer facility opening up less than an hour from my house.
What town will the new WM outlet be in or close to?

They are going to be in Lousiville. The owners have been in Indiana Training and getting their stuff set up. They bought out some woodmizer down in south ms when the owner passed back in January.

thecfarm

Go even if you don't buy a WM. I go to the one here,but it's only about 15 minutes from me too. I try to hit any event that has sawmills. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Thanks,  I'll make a visit when they get going.  There probably will be a Grand Opening.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on July 02, 2015, 08:06:42 AM
Thanks,  I'll make a visit when they get going.  There probably will be a Grand Opening.   :)
Yep I believe it will be august 8th! I will be attending for sure!

Magicman

Yikes that is soon, and we could still be on the road coming home from the Pig Roast.  Do you have an address or location in Louisville?  We might could make Hwy 25 our road.

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on July 02, 2015, 02:20:30 PM
Yikes that is soon, and we could still be on the road coming home from the Pig Roast.  Do you have an address or location in Louisville?  We might could make Hwy 25 our road.

Its right off hwy 25 Magicman! I dont have the address but here is the owners phone number! 662.617.1841

Fedge

I had a TK1220 and I would not recommenced it, However, they may have made improvements since I bought mine in 2000 and sold it in 2003. The thing used bearings like I eat cookies. I really like cookies! The bearings were kind of an oddball and they were difficult to find locally and cost too much money. The water tank was cheap plastic that weathered in the sun and broke apart. It actually cut a nice board but all the other headaches were not worth it. I will say that Timber King tried to make me happy and genuinely seemed to care about my concerns. I bought a Timber Harvester, a lot more mill but a lot more money. I never have had to replace a bearing on it either.

I have seen the EZ Boardwalk in person and it appears to be a much better mill. I own one of their log arches and it is a quality piece of equipment. Mr Zimmerman was very good to deal with and I would not hesitate to purchase from them again.

Geoff
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

Wallee

Quote from: Fedge on July 02, 2015, 07:33:02 PM
I had a TK1220 and I would not recommenced it, However, they may have made improvements since I bought mine in 2000 and sold it in 2003. The thing used bearings like I eat cookies. I really like cookies! The bearings were kind of an oddball and they were difficult to find locally and cost too much money. The water tank was cheap plastic that weathered in the sun and broke apart. It actually cut a nice board but all the other headaches were not worth it. I will say that Timber King tried to make me happy and genuinely seemed to care about my concerns. I bought a Timber Harvester, a lot more mill but a lot more money. I never have had to replace a bearing on it either.

I have seen the EZ Boardwalk in person and it appears to be a much better mill. I own one of their log arches and it is a quality piece of equipment. Mr Zimmerman was very good to deal with and I would not hesitate to purchase from them again.

Geoff

Honestly after looking at woodmizer I can get a lt15 with power feed for the same price as the 1220 so tk is out the door as far as I am concerned lol

redbeard

Water tanks are a minimal item and the guide roller bearings are greaseable now and with proper grease applications they last forever. I've never seen a 1220 so can't give it a honest report. The LT 15 I've seen and they are stout and push easily. Norwoods push really easier cause there lighter and do a really good job keeping lumber perfect, sharp blades are the key with push mills. EZ boardwalks are a very well thought out mill and I'd look closer at them mainly because there products end at the manual level where TK and WM are entry level mills and grow to bigger mills. Just food for thought.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!