iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Mill to Choose? (edited)

Started by Wallee, June 26, 2015, 04:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

Been looking at sawmills and am looking to dip my toes into the water and get one really soon. Looking to run the mill as a business. From what I have seen the Tk1220 looks to be the best as compared to a say lt15,woodland, or similar mills. I am not looking to push massive amounts of lumber out at first and it is a big chance that if I start to make any decent money at it I will probably upgrade to full hydraulics. I am looking to cut a few ties (not looking to produce MASSIVE amounts just get started), and cut some custom lumber for select markets. Is that even possible on a woodland hm 126? I mean its price is pretty much affordable to me where as I will have to borrow and make payments on the 8k tk1220. I have been scrounging back through all the forum posts and just haven't been able to sway myself either way yet. Some of you more experienced guys help talk me though my decision please! P.s. I have other means of making $ during a start up (full time horse trainer, and Farrier), but I am looking to make money not just build myself a barn(although I do have big plans to build one with the mill :D)
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

beenthere

I for sure wouldn't advise you to go into debt on a mill. They will all cut lumber from logs.

But as long as you have a plan that you think will work, that trumps anything I could suggest differently.

And my opinion comes mostly from reading many, many posts by forum members and having their experiences in mind.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kellysguy

Quote from: beenthere on June 26, 2015, 08:00:37 PM
I for sure wouldn't advise you to go into debt on a mill.

Agreed. 8K buys a lot of wood so you'd be working your tail off just trying to break even. I don't get it, why spend the money in an area you aren't already in? IMO the money would be better spent expanding your chosen field in another direction.  If it were me I'd be making saddles, not boards.

bkaimwood

Amen to the above posts, but to answer your question, if I had to choose, Timberking would be my pick of those 2 mentioned mills...
bk

Wallee

Quote from: kellysguy on June 26, 2015, 08:16:53 PM
Quote from: beenthere on June 26, 2015, 08:00:37 PM
I for sure wouldn't advise you to go into debt on a mill.

Agreed. 8K buys a lot of wood so you'd be working your tail off just trying to break even. I don't get it, why spend the money in an area you aren't already in? IMO the money would be better spent expanding your chosen field in another direction.  If it were me I'd be making saddles, not boards.
Already own a log truck and have been milling my whole life. Started working at my great grandfathers mill at the age of 6 helping toss slabs and riding the carriage. Its in my blood. As for the current field I am in, I see enough horses riding the ones in for training and shoeing the 94 other head every 6 weeks. But as things slow down in the mild winter we have here in Ms, It would be nice to have another thing to fall back on. And who knows what the future holds, I may put more into sawing than the other, because I don't know what you know of the horse industry but being a farrier is hard back breaking work. Reason I am not running my grandfathers mill is because we had to sell it to keep my grandmother afloat and I was only 17 at the time of his passing so I couldnt take the mill over and my father wasnt interested.
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

WV Sawmiller

Wallee,

Tons of information not included. Where are you getting your logs from? How much will they cost you? You mention cutting ties and custom lumber for select customers. How confident are you the market is there? Tie cutting implies material handling equipment and I'd sure think a hydraulic mill would be highly desirable if not absolute requirement. I know you can cut any size with a manual mill but how long with it take you to produce ties and custom lumber? How are you fixed for a place to operate your mill? Good site for the mill with good access and egress? How about storage space for the logs and lumber? How are you fixed for insurance? Collateral equipment? Etc.

Have you looked at used equipment? How mechanically inclined are you to run and maintain your equipment? You mention the farrier business as being hard work. What do you remember about sawmilling - surely you don't think it is much easier do you? Are there other mills in the area providing the same or similar services? How are they doing?

Not meaning to burst your bubble. I hope you find your mill and are completely successful in your endeavors but be prepared for may hurdles. Good luck.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Wallee

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 26, 2015, 09:39:58 PM
Wallee,

Tons of information not included. Where are you getting your logs from? How much will they cost you? You mention cutting ties and custom lumber for select customers. How confident are you the market is there? Tie cutting implies material handling equipment and I'd sure think a hydraulic mill would be highly desirable if not absolute requirement. I know you can cut any size with a manual mill but how long with it take you to produce ties and custom lumber? How are you fixed for a place to operate your mill? Good site for the mill with good access and egress? How about storage space for the logs and lumber? How are you fixed for insurance? Collateral equipment? Etc.

Have you looked at used equipment? How mechanically inclined are you to run and maintain your equipment? You mention the farrier business as being hard work. What do you remember about sawmilling - surely you don't think it is much easier do you? Are there other mills in the area providing the same or similar services? How are they doing?

Not meaning to burst your bubble. I hope you find your mill and are completely successful in your endeavors but be prepared for may hurdles. Good luck.

bubble definitely not busted. Here to be informed. I have my grandfathers old mill site and most of his equipment. I have plenty of friends in the logging business and I am still doing some logging myself. I even have a covered shed for my mill to sit under. Really all I am missing is a mill.

Wallee

Also I am definitely not against going used, and am very mechanically minded. Between me and my machinist father in law we can figure most things out. I once helped my grandfather build a mill from the ground up but I was a teenager then.

beenthere

To me, with your experience and knowledge, I'd think another circular mill like your grand dad's would be the best bet for the money. And I'd think much better production of ties and the timbers as well.
Seems you have a leg up over many others just starting out looking at mills.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallee

Quote from: beenthere on June 26, 2015, 10:33:53 PM
To me, with your experience and knowledge, I'd think another circular mill like your grand dad's would be the best bet for the money. And I'd think much better production of ties and the timbers as well.
Seems you have a leg up over many others just starting out looking at mills.
I would love to have another circular mill! Just need to locate a good used one. Only down side is they take more than 1 man to run efficiently.

Wallee

Don't know if anyone here has one or not but I was just watching some Norwood lm29 promotional videos on youtube and that looks like the smoothest running/fastest cutting small bandmill on the market. Is it lol?

Verticaltrx

I was real close to buying an LM29 but went with a LT15 Woodmizer instead. The larger engine, sturdier bed, indexing blade height and the option of power feed are what lead me to the LT15. The Norwoods are a good mill without a doubt, but the LT15 was more mill for just slightly more money.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Wallee

Quote from: Verticaltrx on June 27, 2015, 03:26:21 PM
I was real close to buying an LM29 but went with a LT15 Woodmizer instead. The larger engine, sturdier bed, indexing blade height and the option of power feed are what lead me to the LT15. The Norwoods are a good mill without a doubt, but the LT15 was more mill for just slightly more money.
I want a lt 15 with power feed but it would be 3k more than a Norwood. Which is a lot to me

Magicman

3K is a lot for anybody, but remember that bells and whistles do more than make noise.  Whatever you decide, lean toward quality and potential higher production.  Resale value when you upgrade should also be a consideration.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Go with the lt15 wide
Wish I did .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 27, 2015, 06:41:55 PM
Go with the lt15 wide
Wish I did .
Jim/Bruno

Not too late to get one. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on June 27, 2015, 05:52:10 PM
3K is a lot for anybody, but remember that bells and whistles do more than make noise.  Whatever you decide, lean toward quality and potential higher production.  Resale value when you upgrade should also be a consideration.
Solid Advice! I am going to call norwood monday when their office opens and talk with them. Seems like the lm29 would have several upgrades and be able to grow a bit with it.

ladylake

I'd take a look at EZ Boardwalk also for a push along mill as it will push a lot easier, maybe some EZ owners will reply.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Wallee

Quote from: ladylake on June 28, 2015, 06:56:17 AM
I'd take a look at EZ Boardwalk also for a push along mill as it will push a lot easier, maybe some EZ owners will reply.   Steve
Haven't looked at them yet! Headed to check out their site

fishfighter

I have the Woodland 126 and there is no way I could see cutting ties and trying to make money with it, Way to much manual labor to flip cants. It's a hobby mill. No more then that. Even with a backhoe to load it, it still high manual mill.

Wallee

Quote from: fishfighter on June 28, 2015, 01:18:11 PM
I have the Woodland 126 and there is no way I could see cutting ties and trying to make money with it, Way to much manual labor to flip cants. It's a hobby mill. No more then that. Even with a backhoe to load it, it still high manual mill.
Honestly it doesn't appear strong enough to suit me. Whereas the Norwood looks like a more professional mill. Plus the Norwood appears to be able to handle more with a decent speed compared to the 126.

Wallee

Quote from: ladylake on June 28, 2015, 06:56:17 AM
Don't seem to have a lot of info out on the net about these, such a promotional videos and such. Is the company owned by Amish??

Magicman

Click on the EZ banner on the left.  EZ Boardwalk
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on June 28, 2015, 10:59:19 PM
Click on the EZ banner on the left.  EZ Boardwalk
I have been to their site but Im not seeing much on youtube about them. Ever hear anything bad about them? They claim to be the easiest mill to push. I am Wondering how well they hold up?

WIwoodworker

Before I bought my Peterson I was going to buy an EZ Boardwalk based on good reviews from Forestry Forum members. But to your original question I would take a TK 1220 over the Woodland Mill.
Peterson 9" WPF

Thank You Sponsors!