iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone use a scabbard?

Started by azmtnman, June 26, 2015, 10:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmtnman

Does anyone carry their saw with a scabbard? Any experience with one?
  I have thought about making scabbards for my truck, atv and tractor but wonder how rough it is on the machine (i.e. the bar, the chain, the sawhead.)
  They would take up less room than a box and I think they would keep it from bouncing around as much in rough terrain.

1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

beenthere

I have two scabbards on my tractor. Best place for the saw, IMO. Safe from being driven over and always handy.

But must say, I didn't like how they would vibrate when I had chains on the tractor. Without the chains, not much vibration. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

marine5068

You may have answered your own question there.
From what I know of chainsaws, it's usually better to keep them in a case made for chainsaws. Keeps the parts protected and no risk of bending bars or damaging chains or other saw parts. I guess you could fabricate some type of scabbard that holds the saw's head(engine) down too.
I always put mine in the back of my trucks or an a rack or platform made for accessories and strap it down in it's case.
I can carry my squench and extra tools and chains along with it that way too.
Try mounting the whole case in a fabricated holder in a scabbard position to save space.
Envirofire Evolution pellet stove
Century 2000 wood stove
Stihl MS291 18"
Stihl 044 28"
Forest King 30 ton logsplitter
Yardworks 4 ton electric wood-splitter
Echo SRM-3500
Kobalt 40v pole saw
Stihl FS 56
Black Knight splitting axe
Stanley vintage maul
Estwing hatchet w/sheath

thecfarm

I've had one on my tractor for 3-4 years now. It's on there ALOT and never had any trouble with the bars or any of the things you listed.
Here is the way I did it. I like it hanging straight up and down. Does not bounce at all.

The saw is on my left,so I know where it is at just a glance.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

I had a simple plywood scabbard on one of my tractors for a few years and have been meaning to build a new one. The first one was to prove the concept and was made from scrap so it succumbed to the weather. I did like it and thought it was the best way to carry a saw but I haven't been in the bush much in the last few years so I have yet to build the permanent version. I vote yes to scabbards.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

r.man

Cfarm, what size is that saw, it looks big.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

Just the way the picture was taken,it's a 372 Husky. I also have a small Efco I won on here. That is a great limbing saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

I made a plywood scabbard that fits on the side of my Farmi winch for my Echo cs600p works well.
Will try to post a pic
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

gspren

I have 2 on the front of a small ATV trailer that I take to my woods and after 3 years and many trips no problems.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

azmtnman

Great! Thanks for all the input and the pics. I learned early in life to seek experience!  :D
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

4x4American

Check out Grizzly Peak Enterprises, he makes some nice aluminum chainsaw scabbards
Boy, back in my day..

dancan

I use a plywood scabbard on the tractor , made it to hold 2 saws .

beenthere

That scabbard looks handy too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dancan

Sure is , where I mounted it the scabbard lets me mount a saw with a 24" , any 2 saws will fit .

wfcjr

We have a Byte Tyte aluminum scabbard mounted on the
safety screen on the PTO skidding winch.  Very handy...

Dixon700

A lot of times when would be cutting I just use tarp straps on the front rack of my grizzly to cart the saw down into the woods.use to use tarp straps on the top of my back blade on my old kubota l2500 and a milk grate full of oil gas and tools when i had it. With my 580sk I set it in on the floor so the power head is up by the passenger door and the bar goes along the console.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

711ac

I built a fuel/oil & tool box when I made my "belly pan" for the tractor. A scabbard made it's way into the design also, very handy.

NH-Murph

It was hard to find a good place to mount one on my tractor, but this is what I came up with.

4x4American

good you gave Grizzly Peak some business!  How do ya like it?
Boy, back in my day..

NH-Murph

The aluminum scabbard works well.  It clamps tight and doesn't back off.  I put never seize on the threads... don't know if it was necessary, but I put never seize on everything threaded.  It opens up plenty wide to easily get the saw in and out.  I made a quick little mount for my ROPS and it's completely solid.  It seems a little pricy, but good luck fabricating one for the same money.  I'd definitely buy another one.

justallan1

I carry a saw on my 4-wheeler in a scabbard for clearing fence lines and for fires pretty much all summer and they are priceless. Mine sits sideways on the rear rack with room for a shovel and polaski. I don't know your terrain, but you definitely want the powerhead off to one side of your body to prevent it from hitting you if you are going through big rocks or hopping over logs.

Atlantic Trader

This was the scabbard that was on my old skidder worked like a charm, since then the machines I have had haven't had a scabbard and I just haven't gotten around to putting one on, I have ran over one saw when it fell out of the cab, 

62oliver

This was on my skidder when I got it, works great, saw always handy.

Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Dixon700

^^^^^ I think I would have a bungee cord hooked 9n the bottom of that. I'm sure the ride through the woods can't be that smooth and it's awfully close to the tire to get run over as soon as it falls out...
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

62oliver

That saw is on the inside of the operator's door, the door is open.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Thank You Sponsors!