iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Latest Project Fiasco!!! You all be careful!!

Started by Andy White, June 26, 2015, 10:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Now for the rest of the story. After we presented the tables to Lynn and Pat, it was time for lunch. As usual, Pat really outdone herself. A really great meal, with all the fixins. The cake and ice cream dessert was the topper. I don't know why Lynn don't weigh 300#s eating like that!

Next came the load out. Marty and his youngest son came to lend a helping hand, and that was much help!!

Load out complete, and a good visit , then a good nite rest in the new bedroom addition. Really great work on the addition!  Next morning was breakfast and visiting. Ready to hit the road, and all is good. Stopped for lunch, then back on the road for the rest of the trip home. Fifteen miles from Leesville, home of Ft. Polk Army base, we ran thru a hard rain and lightening storm. Passed the storm, and looked out the rearview, and OH NO!!! FIRE!
Pulled to the shoulder and got out to check it out. The flames began to roll up between the whole load of logs!
Used my small fire extinguisher, and half case of bottled water. Nancy pulled the truck away from the trailer after I unhooked it. At this time, I looked up, and an emergency vehicle came thru the grassy median. The State Fire Marshal no less! This is where things got really hectic, and out of hand! I looked up and a whole platoon of Army reservists were spraying fire extinguishers, and throwing logs off the trailer. They had just left Ft. Polk for the trip back to their home base, after two week training. Now believe this or not!!! Their home base is in Brookhaven, Mississippi! If that sounds familiar, it is the home of The Magicman, Lynn Davis.

About now, the fire dept. shows up, and finished putting out flames, and applying foam to prevent reignition.
During the Army manovures, Two flaming logs roll down the embankment to the edge of a small pond. A young soldier went down to put them out, and a 4' alligator said NO You Don't!! The firemen sprayed it from a distance, and I gave the logs to him! All is secure now, and the Army has left, and we are waiting on a wrecker to come and load the logs up. Fire Marshall and Deputy said maybe lightening hit it. The fireman said he had only seen that two other times, and friction from the dry logs and the fine shreds of sapwood made great tinder. The deputy asked if I threw a cigar butt out the window, and I told him that nothing but smoke and old chewing gum goes out my windows!!  Showed him my ashtray!

The wrecker came, and loaded the logs. A really hair raising ordeal for sure!!

Next time when hauling dried logs, I will be stopping at a carwash to wet the logs . Maybe two or three times.
So to sum it up, All the stars were lined up for me to save this load of Cedar! A few minutes, or even seconds, could have had very different results, so you all BE CAREFULL !!!!     Andy

Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

sandsawmill14

no good deed goes unpunished(old saying) >:(
i am glad that it all turned out well in the end  :)
at least you had a good first 1/2 of the trip and got a great story to tell for years and pics to prove it !!!  and its a good thing cause no one would believe it!!! :D :D :D
thanks for the pics!!! :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

drobertson

Absolutely unbelievable! what a day, mercy sakes alive, never heard of such a thing, but one thing for certain, that cedar bark does make good, no great tinder, who would've thought about it happening on a trailer bed while hauling?   Glad to hear all is well in the end,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

nmericle53

Am surprised I even got the pictures I did because my hands were so shaky. I remember hearing Lynn and Andy saying  if there are no pictures to document it it didn't happen! Sure is nice to know I pay attention. Such a wonderful trip to visit two of the most wonderful giving people. Lynn and Pat ya"ll are the BOMB! We even got to stay in the Waldorf Astoria/bed and breakfast, lunch and dinner. Wonderful food, friends and stories....some true... the rest? All I know is we have a heck of a story to tell and it is documented.
Thank you GOD for blessing me much more than I deserve.

Sixacresand

Sorry about the fire.  Glad you all had a good visit with some good people, no one got hurt and lots of helping folks along the road. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Andy, Marty, & Luke loading ERC logs.

Plus, they gave the Logrites a workout. 

Loaded and time for a break.

And then to read that after giving Andy a trailer load of Cedar logs, he tried to have a Cedar Crispin.   fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

tree-farmer

I know it gets hot down there, but dang!!  say_what

Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Sixacresand

Actually, My wife Nancy showed me photos of the fire on Nmericle53's Facebook page before I saw it on the Forum.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Proved me wrong, I guess you can cook with Cedar.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Way too many loading,unloading,loading pictures for me.  :) That is too bad.
I have heard of a cigarette starting a fire in a back of a truck. One of my friends was helping someone move. Yep,fire in the back of his truck. He had the old style wood floor in the truck too. That caught on fire too.  ::) Nothing real bad,but it was charred.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Was thinking it could have been a cigarette flipped by someone else too.
Been a lot worse if the muscle power hadn't shown up to toss them off. Likely saved the trailer floor this way, so you could load and get going again.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scleigh

I thought crazy things like that only happened to me???
Glad you made it home safely with the logs.

ellmoe

I thought that the technique of burning lumber for appearance and preservative was done after the boards were sawn! I didn't know you could save a step. ;D
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

pigman

I am thinking that Lynn maybe sold you some "hot" logs. :o ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

:)  They were worth exactly what he paid for them.......nothing.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I'm sure glad I have my reservations at the bed and breakfast on the Walnut weekend. I don't think I could handle a cedar crispin'

herb

fat olde elf

Magic Man has been trying to get rid of those cedars for a while !!! I have lots of fire stories but nothing to top this. Actually had one of my many PUs totally burn right in front of my house. Also been ticketed by the US Forest Service for "letting a fire escape". Proud to see the US Army come to help you. Another epic story on the Forum ! Thanks for sharing !   PER
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Magicman

foe, I still have some and the offer still stands.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

timberlinetree

That makes me appreciate all the boring days I have. Glad all is safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

coxy

glad every one was safe    wait till you get the bill from the government for all there man power  :D

Corley5

DanG!  Just when you least expect it  :)  Glad it turned out well  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

LeeB

I never heard of anyone rubbing two sticks that big together to start a fire. That story ranks right up there with burning bulldozers.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

rjwoelk

Just thinkin, from the time you left lunch spot to when the fire occurred,  was how long? Did you run through rain during that time? 
Maybe some one threw a cigarette into the logs during lunch break, with the wind created by driving it may do it, or some one tossed a cigarette out a  they passed you, I see that and they burn pretty good as they land on  the road.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

DanG

I think it was all the metal in those logs rubbing together that started the fire.  Glad it weren't no worser.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

21incher

Holey smokes! Good thing you were checking in your mirror and saw the smoke. Can't wait to see what you build with the cedar. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Andy White

The fire marshall said that someone passing was the most likely scenario. I stay at a safe 60 mph any time I am pulling a trailer, and always watch the mirrors every few seconds all the time. I would have thought that if lightening struck, I would have known it!!!   >:( >:( >:( Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: ellmoe on June 27, 2015, 07:21:13 AM
   I thought that the technique of burning lumber for appearance and preservative was done after the boards were sawn! I didn't know you could save a step. ;D
Mark

x2 That's the first thing I thought of .....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bill Gaiche

Ok, what a story. Now what are you going to build out of smoked cedar? bg

Magicman

And if Andy did not get enough Cedar, I will have to pre-smoke it so that it will match the other.   :o

clww

What an incredible story!
And pictures of it all, too! :o
Glad everyone ended up safe and sound.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

dablack

Quote from: Magicman on June 27, 2015, 09:58:45 AM
:)  They were worth exactly what he paid for them.......nothing.   :D

That right there is an old "Goodwill" sayin'
Building my own house in East TX

Magicman

Maybe I need to post a guard on the rest of the ERC whack in case "someone" needs a refill.

Andy White

Lynn,
I may need to make another run after I saw this load. I may be a little short after that alligator took two of my logs. Will let you know soon. 8) 8) 8)    Andy

Thank You Sponsors!