iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for elevator

Started by shawn55, June 26, 2015, 07:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawn55

Does anybody know the pro's and con's on belt or chain elevators. I'm looking for a good used one for my firewood processor. I would like a used on but might just have to buy a new one.

Puffergas

A hay elevator would bind up with slab wood for us. Put a belt on and that kind of worked as long as the angle was not too steep. Cleats would fix that. Maybe a chain down the middle.

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

OH logger

I use hay elevators with real good luck. they are 18" wide. we slow them way down and at the top of the elevator on the underside we cut that sheet of metal off about 4 feet from the top. that way if a piece of wood comes around the top (and they do) it has time to shake out and ends up on the pile and don't end up in the bottom of the elevator binding it up and breakin stuff. we also use electric motors on them so if a piece does get jammed it trips the breaker. gas motors dont quit and that's when stuff gets tore up. hope this helps
john

OH logger

we put about 450 cord up them a year too so we give them a workout and they do hold up for a fraction of the cost. I called some manufactures last week and was flabbergasted by the prices of firewood elevators. I bought one bale elevator for 400 bucks and the other for 600. pretty cheap. we have 12 years on the old one and 5 on the "new" one. the old one is made by McCurdy and has the phone number as "10" on the tag. that tells you how old it is. haha
john

Autocar

Take a ride though coal county and get your self a coal elavator. It would work real good a flat rubber belt.
Bill

Corley5

I used hay elevators for a couple years.  One was a Mayrath, the others were IH and a Case.  The Case used a single chain and worked better than the double chain models. A Built Rite hydraulic belt elevator is second only to the firewood processer itself as the most valuable part my firewood system.  The hay elevators were a constant source of aggravation and lost time.  I can only imagine how many hours I'd have spent repairing and searching for replacement elevators in the 8 seasons I've had a purpose built machine.  The Built Rite has paid for itself many times over. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Gearbox

I built a belt conveyer out of 2 sections of a John Deere corn elevator 20 ft long 14 in wide inside the notch  . If you can find John Deere baler belts they are 7 in wide . I put 2 on and cleated with angle and BIG pop rivets . 6 in pipe for head and tail pullys 1in shaft . Drive it with the transmison from a rear engine lawnmower chain drive to head pully . this thing has moved many cords of wood trouble free . Just wish it had a bigger gas tank . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

timberlinetree

We have a top drive built rite belt conveyor that has been great. It just has to be flat surface to set up on or we jack up one tire and it goes straight. I don't think we would sell fire wood without it.

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!