iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farm Harvest Tables

Started by WDH, June 26, 2015, 07:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Farm tables or Harvest tables are very popular right now.  I am selling a good bit of lumber to customers, and I have built or am building several for customers.  My youngest daughter graduated from Vet School in May and moved to begin her career.  She needed a table for her kitchen/dining room, so I made her a quartersawn pine farm table.

She wanted turned legs, and I do not have a lathe or turn wood, so I found a source of table legs from a company in Toccoa, GA called Osborne Wood Products that specializes in wooden table legs of all types.  Here is link to their website.  http://www.osbornewood.com/?gclid=CL2gzfGercYCFdgIgQoduAEAWA

I found the legs to be very high quality.  Since I was building the table out of pine, and since I was going to paint the legs and aprons white, I bought four of their pine Farm Dining Table legs.  I wanted the top to be thick, but I did not have any 2" pine that I could use.  So, I decided to do a thick breadboard on each end with the 1" pine for the long axis of the table and glue up strips on the edges to make the table have the 2" thick look that I wanted.  With a 2" thick breadboard glued up from two matching 1" pieces and with the long outside edges also at 2", the top looks thick without the extra wood and the weight.

As to chairs, I took the easy way out and ordered some simple chairs that would match.  Here is a pic of the finished table in situ.

Here is a view of the top.  I atttached the breadboard to the top using a tongue on the end of the table and a matching groove in the breadboard.  The two pieces are held together with walnut dowels.  The middle dowel is glued into both the top and the breadboard, but the other ones have elongated holes so that the top can change seasonally with humidity.  This prevents the cross-grain arrangement of the breadboard and the top from leading to the table top splitting. 

Here is a closer view of where the top and the breadboard join.  The aprons have a bead to create a shadow line.  My daughter really likes it, and that is all that counts.

I have a commission to do one in thick red oak, so another one will be in the works.  The oak legs are nearly twice the price of the pine ones, so not sure about the legs yet.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andy White

Danny,
Absolutely beautiful!! Love the breadboard ends. The top grain highlights are placed in exactly right positions to maximize the beauty and the balance. Love the beading on the top and aprons. You make me want to drop my projects and start one of these!    Great work!   Andy    :o :o 8) 8)
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

tule peak timber

Very tasty ! A beautiful piece of furniture... :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

pineywoods

Nice table Danny, beautiful work. You NEED a lathe  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

stanwelch

Very nice indeed!   8)

Thanks for posting the pine table pictures
I'm looking forward to seeing the oak table build
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

pigman

Very nice table. 8) You need to start building chairs.  ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Larry

Nice work!  The bead on the apron is one of those details that add a lot.  I like it.

You need to turn the next legs than you can get addicted to another money pit. :D  Me and pigman will keep ya busy. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jemclimber

Very nice, I like the detail with contrasting dowels and the beaded apron. As Larry has said the lathe can be costly. Not so much the lathe, but all the accessories that go with turning seem to never end. It's also a little addicting.   :)    Making a daughter happy by making her something she requested is something she'll always remember and is priceless. 

One question about the breadboard, it appears the top part above the groove is very thin in relation.  Is this an illusion or is there a reason you made it this way? 

Thanks for showing your work.
lt15

Mooseherder

Beautiful table Danny! :)
Two thumbs up. smiley_thumbsup

WDH

Jason,

It is an illusion from the angle of the picture.  The round-over also contributes to the illusion. 

If it was here, I would take a more detailed pic, but it ain't.  It is at my daughters  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I think the whole shooting match is an illusion.  :D :D :D :D
Wait a minute, got my glasses on now.......

Great work Danny, and it had to be a labor of love working in this heat. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

gfadvm

That is a beautiful table! Like you, my daughter is a veterinarian and all my best projects wind up at her house.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fishpharmer

Danny, that table is just perfect!  Congrats to your daughter on her vet school graduation, a huge accomplishment! 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

A mighty fine job was done by you and your daughter at vet school.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

buzywoodliff

Very nice

Thanks for sharing

Magicman

That is very nice Danny.  You both have good reason to be proud, and also congrats on the Vet School Graduation.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nmericle53

She is one lucky girl. That is one to treasure to hand down to her kids one day. Beautiful work.
Thank you GOD for blessing me much more than I deserve.

jamesamd

Your the Man and the Dad  8)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

SwampDonkey

She's a beaut.  ;D Looks very nice, I'm sure it will be cherished for years to come.  :)

I see a lathe sitting in your shop soon.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Very beautiful table that be around for generations to come. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Lud

Like the Harletts say, " So fine, so fine, so fine......" 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

AK Newbie

Beautiful work!  Thanks for sharing your work it has inspired me to attempt one made from spruce!
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Thank You Sponsors!