iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pickled beets and sauerkraut

Started by sandsawmill14, June 26, 2015, 12:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

spent most of the night cutting cabbage and peeling beets. any of you guys do this? :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

beenthere

Been a few years, but have done it. Good eating.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

luvmexfood

Pickled beets and soupbeans. Don't get any better eating than that.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

drobertson

never have, but it sounds like some good eating, love beets and cabbage,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandsawmill14

yep its good eatin digin1 digin1   im not as good at it as my grandma was but im at least able to do it ;D  i am the only one around that still knows how to do it(thats is about my age)  what shocked me the most was when i have a question and ask my parents generation they dont know :o i only know of 4 women left in our area to ask questions if i get stumped and they are all in their 80s. home preserving food is almost a lost art and only in 2 generations.  :(
i am not talking about freezing foods anyone can do that.

the ones of you that do know how to can foods, cure/smoke meats, ferment foods or any of the old ways of preserving food please do your best to try to pass it on to the next generation. :) :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

BradMarks

We like to add a hot pepper to our pickled beets. Spicy pickled beets 8)

Bricklayer51

My nephew does enough kraut for the family but we do a half bushel of pickled beets every fall.

21incher

We make sauerkraut and pickle beets every year, but I would be afraid to eat both of them at the same time. We put up a couple of hundred  jars a year so we can enjoy the garden year round:o
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

Sauerkraut ain't happening, but I love pickled beets.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!