iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Shop

Started by Saga Dan, June 24, 2015, 10:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Dan

This is my first original post on the forum.  Have not really had too much to share other than a few comments and information on other topics.  I am not real sure if this is the correct place of this but I will give it a try.

After a few years of working in my tiny 12 x 12 basement shop I decided I need to do something different if I was going to be productive and be able to work year round making tables and benches along with other projects.  The problem lies in the fact that I use the "shop" for several different activities throughout the year.  In the winter time I coach the local high nordic ski team and my shop is converted into a ski repair shop and wax room.  Not real conducive to wood working.  The family room side of the lower level has been used for storage of my wood slabs for the past couple of years before I range them into my tiny workroom.  I hope I am able to add some photos in the next few spot to prove to everyone what I am talking about since I have learned that nothing happens without photos.

This is a photo of a completed coffee table sitting in the family room storage facility.

Here are a few photos of my cramped shop area in a bit of disarray prior to my "new" shop area being finished.  I was never able to work on an entire project without constantly moving things around and doing acrobatics in the process.

Since we have not really used the family room in the past couple of year, I decided to take out the carpet and install a wall and door to isolate the "new" shop from the rest of the house.  I spent a couple of days crawling on the concrete floor scraping and cleaning carpet pad adhesive off the concrete floor.  I then etched the concrete since it was machine troweled and very smooth.  The coating I used was Rock Solid Gray tinted Diamond Coat floor coating.  I read mixed reviews on it but I hope it lives up to the promises on the box. 

I am not completely done with moving and setup but I can say I like the new space much better.  14x24 feels much more like a space I can work in.  Still need to add some more lighting and get my dust collection stuff moved over as well as finding new homes for everything.

Another added bonus is we have less room when the in-laws invite themselves to stay for a few days when they are in town...
2014 LT40 Manual; XP346; XP395; Logosol M8

Glenn1

The new space looks like it will work out just fine for woodworking.  I especially like the clean floor. ;D
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

hackberry jake

I am a big fan of smooth floors. When I had my shop built, I bought the concrete guys lunch and asked them to make it as smooth as possible. It makes it much easier to roll things around and to sweep. I keep complaining to the wife about my tiny shop but she says we need a bigger house before we need a bigger shop... Women...
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dave H.

nice. my shop is 24ft by24ft and i still have to do most my builds outsides,lol.

hackberry jake

Mine is 24x40 and I changed out a CV axle, and breaks on my truck in the driveway. No room in the shop.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Jemclimber

Nice table.  What is the wood and did you weld the base?
lt15

Saga Dan

The table is made from a storm damaged Red Oak from property I deer hunt.  Milled with an Alaskan CS mill at the start of my sawmill addiction.  I weld the bases as well out of square tube, I do that in the garage or the place where cars are supposed to be parked according to the neighborhood covenants. 

I wish I had more room to have a bigger shop.  If and when we move there will be a bigger shop.  If the new bigger shop is attached to the house does that count as getting a bigger house?

One of my next projects is to convert the storage shed I built a few years ago into a dehumidification kiln to better dry my own lumber and slabs.
2014 LT40 Manual; XP346; XP395; Logosol M8

Andries

Very nice shop Saga Dan.
Smooth floor, white ceiling for good light and a couple of windows too.
That patio door is a real bonus, you'll be able to 'launch' a cedar strip canoe or kayak out of there without any problem.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

Congrats on that very nice Coffee Table build.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nmericle53

Love the wood. I always try to pick pieces so that when a project is created those knots are the focal point.  Violin_smiley
Thank you GOD for blessing me much more than I deserve.

Thank You Sponsors!