iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 036 not running, has compression, spark and probably gas

Started by rTrauger, June 24, 2015, 09:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rTrauger

Hi first time on this website, but I used forums before to fix bikes so Im hoping I can get similar results here.  I have a stihl 036 chainsaw that belonged to my dad so its at least 14 years old. Any way great saw I cut just about anything I see, and so far has been super reliable. Recently I went to start it up after its been sitting about 2 months, and for a quick second started to go then pooped out and I haven't been able to start it since ( I did put new fuel in it). Compression is 160 the saw has spark when I have the electrode touching the engine( not sure if it different when its threaded in) From what I can tell all the fuel lines are clear and it seems to be getting fuel as I can smell it every time I pull. I tried getting it to run on starting fluid and even that won't even try.

I'm not a saw expert but I'm pretty good with dirt bikes, so anything mechanical I can do usually. I noticed the carb is vacuum feed leading me to think it needs a rebuild, but I would think it would go for second or two on starting fluid and its not. So then Im thinking spark, maybe the stop switch ground isn't right or something with the magneto( not really good in the field of engine electronics)

Any help is greatly appreciated Ill be sure to read through your wisdom

Thanks- Ron

sawguy21

Welcome aboard. First of all, leave the starting fluid on the shelf. That is the worst stuff to use on an air cooled engine, a spritz of gas is much easier on it.
Try a new plug. It may fire outside the saw but not under compression. Check for a cracked fuel or impulse hose, they go brittle with age. If it appears to be flooding the inlet needle may not be seating. It could stand a carb kit and in tank filter after 14 years anyway.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

joe_indi

It might be flooded. Remove the air filter.Move the switch to 'I', hold the throttle wide open ( use a shoe lace if you need to) and try starting. It might take 5 or 10 pulls but it should start.

sandsawmill14

x2 on the spark plug i have have at least 2 that would not fire under compression 1 was in my 038 the other was in a 3 1/2 hp briggs on a push mower :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Dave H.

you answered your own question when you said "gas;probably" .gas for two strokes is good for about 1 month.dump you old full out(all of it,even if mixed with new gas or additives) clean out the old gas from the fuel lines and carb( pulling the pith out of it after neww gas in tank should do it).it will probably be flooded at this point. pull the plug let sit for a couple hours. now try to restart it.probably,lol.

Thank You Sponsors!