iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bear delivering calves.

Started by Magicman, June 21, 2015, 03:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

A friend of mine just told me about a bad situation that he has.  Apparently a bear smells and knows when a cow is about to deliver.  He comes in and snatches the calf as it is being born.  He has several cows horribly clawed on the hindquarters.

The bear expert with the Ms. Wildlife & Parks suspects that it is a big boar that has learned a trick.  He said that killing it is out of the question and that trapping will do no good because in 3-4 days it will be back no matter where it is released.  There is no such thing as a nuisance bear in Mississippi because they are endangered/protected.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

breederman

Together we got this !

red oaks lumber

they need to do for bears what i do for wolves,keep the bred cows in a smaller 5 acre pen that is preditor proof during calving season.
his second mistake was telling the "experts" he has a problem. as breederman said ,s.s.s
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

gfadvm

Yep, I'd shoot that sucker and keep it quiet.  The feral hogs have learned the calving trick as well (and they're not protected but there are huge numbers of them).

Shotgun

gfadvm - are you by chance a DVM?  Just wondering.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

gfadvm

Quote from: Shotgun on June 21, 2015, 09:19:46 PM
gfadvm - are you by chance a DVM?  Just wondering.

Yep, an equine practitioner. And my daughter is a small animal/exotic/wildlife veterinarian.

red oaks lumber

michigan has dr.pol :D for what ever thats worth ;D

Trahlin

Organophosphates usually clean up the neighborhood quickly.  With the market value of calves where it is at, why call the game warden.  Just do what needs done, and never tell anyone. 

A whole lot of herdsmanship would also prevent issues like this. 
You only truly fail, when you fail to TRY!

Chuck White

I guess NY is one-up on some states, at least here (so far) you have a right to protect your property against animals of all kinds including the 2-legged kind!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

I believe Montana is also, Chuck. We don't have a lot of problems on this end of the state with bear or wolves, but I'm quite sure there would be folks lined up to help find a problem animal here, including the game wardens that I've met.

Magicman

The situation here is that other than wild dogs, we have never had predators stealing newborn calves, etc.  With bears being 100% protected and many with collars/chips, there is a law abiding obligation among landowners which prevents SSS.  Too, this is an isolated incident because we have very very few bears within the state.

I had never heard of or even imagined such a thing until this past week.  Yes, cattle owners and especially this one has to be more vigilant with expectant cows.  This is uncharted waters for us and a very new experience.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

bears claim a large % of the annual fawn crop so, i'm not surprised that bear have figured out  the "beef" thats whats for dinner :)

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on June 22, 2015, 09:19:34 AM
The situation here is that other than wild dogs, we have never had predators stealing newborn calves, etc.  With bears being 100% protected and many with collars/chips, there is a law abiding obligation among landowners which prevents SSS.  Too, this is an isolated incident because we have very very few bears within the state.

I had never heard of or even imagined such a thing until this past week.  Yes, cattle owners and especially this one has to be more vigilant with expectant cows.  This is uncharted waters for us and a very new experience.

I'm not suggesting anyone follow what I'm about to say, but...........

If the sss policy is implemented and the hole is deep enough and quick enough, the collar/chip signal wouldn't exit through all the dirt!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ely

how long has it  been since miss. had any population of bears.? the reason I ask is about 10 years ago bears started showing up in eastern okla. word was they were coming from over the line in Arkansas... a few of them had tags in their ears made of brass. they said" miss. nuisance bear program" with a number stamp in it. they few that HAD tags in their ears were causing problems with cattle here in Oklahoma. they did not make the cut I am pretty sure of it.
I have heard stories of Arkansas trading turkeys for bears from miss. at some point in the past but you know how stories go...

ps... if the said bears are chipped, do not rely on dirt to block a signal because they do find those bears by signal when they are denned up.

Gary_C

Magicman, tell your friend not to just accept what the state officials are telling him as those guys are trying to protect only the bears are most likely not being completely truthful. I know the feds were at one time paying for the financial costs of bear kills of domestic livestock, but your friend may have to fight for compensation as they will not pay voluntarily. Plus he should demand compensation for the annual return of that beef cow and offspring plus the current value, not just the value of the eaten calf.

As one farmer I know told the Feds, he was keeping beef cows around to make money and not to feed their bears. The only annual return those farmers get every year for feeding that cow is from that calf and if the calf is lost to a bear, that's a big loss.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Gary_C on June 23, 2015, 02:22:02 PM
Magicman, tell your friend not to just accept what the state officials are telling him as those guys are trying to protect only the bears are most likely not being completely truthful. I know the feds were at one time paying for the financial costs of bear kills of domestic livestock, but your friend may have to fight for compensation as they will not pay voluntarily. Plus he should demand compensation for the annual return of that beef cow and offspring plus the current value, not just the value of the eaten calf.

As one farmer I know told the Feds, he was keeping beef cows around to make money and not to feed their bears. The only annual return those farmers get every year for feeding that cow is from that calf and if the calf is lost to a bear, that's a big loss.

x2  unless something has changed the bald eagle was the only thing you cant shoot to protect property/livestock here but i havent read the law in years.
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

red oaks lumber

iv'e gotten to the point,i'll use the law "stand my ground" the state or fed policy makers don't have a clue of the animal counts or behaviors in my back 40 so, i won't report any livestock loses just like i won't report any preditor loses :)
the last few years around here you would see more dead bear hit by cars than dead deer hum ? recently the state raised the waiting period for bear tag by one year.saying the numbers are down.ha ha tell another funny story ;)

gspren

Bear, when properly prepared, tastes much like pork. ;D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

coxy

Quote from: gspren on June 23, 2015, 10:12:25 PM
steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley   its even nasty in summer sausage  my taste buds must be different than yours  :D :D :D :D ill be calling on you come November to come and get the ones we get  ;D

ReggieT

Quote from: coxy on June 24, 2015, 06:14:03 PM
Quote from: gspren on June 23, 2015, 10:12:25 PM
steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley   its even nasty in summer sausage  my taste buds must be different than yours  :D :D :D :D ill be calling on you come November to come and get the ones we get  ;D
:D :D

Bibbyman

The farmers that rent our farm ground keep their calving cows up close and check on them often.  Even so they lost several calves during last year's calving to coyotes and feral dowgs.  They caught one in the act and tried to run it down on their ATV.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

petefrom bearswamp

Once again showing my ignorance, what is sss?
No bears here but my SIL and family had one cross the raod in front of them near Hancock NY.
Coxy, is this near you?
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Bibbyman

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on June 28, 2015, 07:31:58 AM
No bears here but my SIL and family had one cross the raod in front of them near Hancock NY.
Coxy, is this near you?
Pete

SSS is a time honored custom of land owners used to protect their property from predators and sometimes feral dowgs and cats.   Shoot, shovel and shutup.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

OntarioAl

Folks
Up here bears are the number one reason that the moose herd is in trouble. They are preying on the moose calves. The government closed down the spring bear hunt to appease the " orphan bear cub crowd" based mainly in the major population areas (Toronto). The bear numbers have skyrocketed and the moose herd is hurting.
I could go on to refute the standard government replies of climate change and brain worm contracted from deer, but if that is the case why will they not shut down the hunt (moose that is)?
the simple answer is $$$ collected from hunting fees.
Al
Al Raman

coxy

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on June 28, 2015, 07:31:58 AM
Coxy, is this near you?
Pete
ya its 27 miles from me hope it stays there if it comes here it will be in trouble if I see it I have a no walk zone at my house  :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!