iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stump Vises

Started by luvmexfood, June 20, 2015, 02:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Just wondering how many people carried stump vises with them into the woods daily. Been thinking about one but wondering would it just be another thing to pack into the woods. Saw, hammer/axe, wedges, gas, oil, tape measure, file, scrench and water. All this while wearing chaps and hardhat. Getting to be more than I want to pack in. Are they worth it to pack in?

Depending on what I have planned for the next day I will leave some of the stuff if I am coming back to the same area the next day. But if I decide to cut somewhere else then I don't have everything I need with me.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

beenthere

I have my stump vice handy for use in the woods. Great for that time when an "oops" causes the need to touch up the saw. But only for those times I also have the fuel mix, bar oil, file, and extra chain loop along as well.
The gator or the tractor are close by on those occasions... I certainly wouldn't hike around cutting trees carrying the stump vice too.
Only the scrench is in my chaps, and 2 plastic wedges along with the saw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

I have a wedge pouch that holds my scrench, round file(x2), raker file, 2-3 wedges, stump vise and my bar tip grease gun. Gas/oil are on the skidder or gator, and i usually carry a hudson bay axe on a 19" haft, or my plumb cruiser DB on a 28" haft for a wedge pounder x axe duties, i.e. swamping and cutting away small brush. My spencer log tape hangs on a loop on the pouch or u put the pouch to thesmall of my back and have the tape on a belt loop. I dont use the vise often, but when i need it it is nice to have plus it doesnt weigh hardly anything. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

4x4American

I rigged up my stump vise to my piggyback gas can.  Just took mechanics wire, and tied a washer to the handle.  Then i tighten the vise in the center of the washer and viola.
Boy, back in my day..

_RJ_

I find them useful. Doesn't hurt to have one.

clww

I use a surplus military ammo can to carry all my extra stuff in. Takes a beating, has a carrying handle, and it's waterproof, too. ;)
If you run out of room, get the next larger size.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

gjersy

I carry a stump vice it sure makes it easier, i carry it in an old 5 gallon hyd pail, with the sealed lid. Also i have an old 200 Honda 3 wheeler, that i put a box on that can carry my saws, gas and tools, or it carries my fuel and hyd oil for the Tree harvester.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

grassfed

I use one. When I am felling I choose a spot that is more or less in the center of the area that I am working and I cut a tree that has some rot or flaw in the stump. I leave the stump about 3-4 feet high and use that as a place to hammer in the vise and leave my water gas oil and tools. I also always have some reading glasses so I can see what I am doing while I file. When I need to get gas I file my saw and take a break to drink water and eat a snack.  If I am doing a WHIP or clear cut in the summer I leave some trees for shade near my stump.
Mike

luvmexfood

Quote from: grassfed on June 23, 2015, 11:33:33 AM
I use one. When I am felling I choose a spot that is more or less in the center of the area that I am working and I cut a tree that has some rot or flaw in the stump. I leave the stump about 3-4 feet high and use that as a place to hammer in the vise and leave my water gas oil and tools. I also always have some reading glasses so I can see what I am doing while I file. When I need to get gas I file my saw and take a break to drink water and eat a snack.  If I am doing a WHIP or clear cut in the summer I leave some trees for shade near my stump.
I know all to well about those reading glasses. Really helps to sharpen a saw when you can actually see what you are doing.

old guy

Quote from: grassfed on June 23, 2015, 11:33:33 AM

Why bother with the vice, just make a cut across the top of the stump almost 1/2 the bar deep, shut the saw off put your hip against the powerhead to hold it steady and start fileing, been doin that fer nigh onta 50 year.

John

grassfed

Quotejust make a cut across the top of the stump almost

I did it that way for years before I tried the vise. The more I used the vise the more I liked it. It holds the saw more still. I tend to lean my chest against the back of the saw and let the saw hold my weight. It is like welding in that I need to get my body comfortable so I can keep my hands moving steady. The vise is not a must have thing but it helps me and I like it better than just using a cut. It is not something that costs a lot of money so I think that it is worth a try. That said I see them going for $20 now. I got mine on sale for $7. I always wondered if they were any good but I was too cheap to pay $20.
Mike

old guy

I hear ya about gittin the body in position, at my age I don't do off balance.
  John

gspren

You guys got me thinking I need one of these. Comstock (an FF sponsor) lists one for $8.00, does it look like what you guys are using?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

Old trick.Cut into a round about half the depth of the bar .Shut off the saw,file away .

luvmexfood

Ordered a Deluxe  Forester vise from Comstock while getting a couple other items. Heavy sucker. Won't be toting it with me but keep nearby. Only concern I have is the legs that go down in the stump are only 1.5 inches long. Looks a little short but will try it out and see.

luvmexfood

Tried it out to day. No problem with the legs being that short. Do like the fact that when you lock the bar in the vise it allows you to focus 100 percent on the chain and sharpening. You don't have to worry about the saw moving etc.

zandoval

THATS IT!!!

I am gonna get one now... Thanks...
No matter where you're at... There you are...

Scott Garrett

I made one out of a small c clamp. Just cut it down rewelded it back together. Welded two bolts on the bottom and sharpened them down to a point. Very light to carry and Ben using it over ten years now
If you love your freedom,thank a veteran.

grassfed

Here are some pictures of my stump vise and how I set it up in the woods. Next project. I am going to make a vise that I can weld to the front blade of my skidder.

Mike

Ozarker

I've got a couple of these, and really like that they're light to carry, and so easy to use.

http://chainsawsharpeningvise.com/index.html

Straightgrain

Quote from: grassfed on August 17, 2015, 07:42:22 AM
Here are some pictures of my stump vise and how I set it up in the woods. Next project. I am going to make a vise that I can weld to the front blade of my skidder.

Great example, thanks. I'm always looking for ways to work without bending my spine...

When I seen the term "stump vise", I first thought it was a logger joke like "saw lights" or "cable bearing".

My second thought was what a pain in the butt it would be working on a stump 18" from the ground, stepping/tripping on roots.

I usually do saw-maintenance on a tail gate when I have the RTV. But when cutting @ my tractor, I have nothing.....

Will look into a stump vise.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Real1shepherd

Quote from: grassfed on August 17, 2015, 07:42:22 AM

I had to chuckle at those pics. Not being a snob or thumbing my nose at you guys back east, but here we just find a big stump and put the vise more towards the bar tip. Seems natural that way, balance-wise.

Kevin

Kbeitz

I made an adapter that slides in my class 3 hitch that holds a real vise.
Then I use a 12 volt dremal.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

grassfed

QuoteNot being a snob or thumbing my nose at you guys back east
:D

Well I maybe our extra 200 years experience in logging has taught us a thing or 2.  8)
Mike

Real1shepherd

Quote from: grassfed on October 18, 2015, 10:39:02 AM
QuoteNot being a snob or thumbing my nose at you guys back east
:D

Well I maybe our extra 200 years experience in logging has taught us a thing or 2.  8)

Point taken! Except chainsaws got big in the 50's here just as they did there.....so we're all pretty equal on the evolution of chainsaw in the woods. 

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!