iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another logger killed

Started by sandsawmill14, June 19, 2015, 09:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

lost a friend today  :'( . all i know is (they said) tree fell on him. i set up a hurdle mill for his brother and nephew and he had a mill of his own. i havent been able to talk to the family to find out what happened.i dont know if it happen at the mill or if they were logging.  :(   please keep the family in your prayers
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sawguy21

I am truly sorry to hear of your loss. :(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Praying for you and his family.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WH_Conley

Bill

gww

Sand
Freinds are hard to come by, sorry for your loss.
gww

Hilltop366

That's a tough one, sorry for your loss.

sandsawmill14

thanks everyone
   they were felling a tree and a gust of wind made it set back and broke the hinge and came over backwards, hit a tree that was lodged knocking it loose left him caught between the 2 falling trees with nowhere to go. something hit him and broke his neck.   thats the best i could understand the boy this morning but he was still very upset and could hardly talk about it.
he was 64 years old.
all you loggers, especially chainsaw fellers, be very careful and dont take anything for granted!!!   we hear way to many stories like this. people not in the business have no idea the risk or amount of work done for them to be able to just go to lumber shed and pick up some 2x4s

Sixacresand

Will be praying for you and your friend's family. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sandhills

Thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.

drobertson

Sad news, praying for the family,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

That is so tragic.  I offer my condolences to the family.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Sorry to hear about this .
I worry about my BIL he cuts alone in the woods .
People don't under stand how hard this kind of work is .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

beenthere

Less than a month ago, a logger in WI lost his life to a large limb that fell on him while felling a tree. His buddy was nearby also cutting, but when no chainsaw sound was heard, he investigated. Had just happened, and was wearing hard hat and all PPE when the buddy found him. 

So even not cutting alone, can happen.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandsawmill14

my friend wasn't alone but it made no difference. visited with the family at the funeral home today and they were doing well as can be expected. i want to thank everyone for the prayers and kind words it means much more than most people think!!! :)

clww

Terrible news to read. Prayers to you and his family.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sandsawmill14

working alone is never a good idea. the only tree i ever let get me was one saturday that my wife went with me. i took a wild ride on the but end of a 30" red oak but wasnt hurt other than skinned up and bruised up. scared her so bad i had to take her home because she would walk in to close to watch and make sure i was ok after every tree and it was tall timber and i was afraid i would cut one on her cause she was never where i left her!!! >:( :D i have always worked alone other than just now then my brothers might help on saturdays or something and have LUCKILY never been seriously injured.
i have another friend who logs with horses and works alone. he is in his mid 70s now and still logging alone. he let a tree get on him 4 or 5 years ago and broke his leg. he managed to keep the saw and cut about 3' off the butt to get his leg free the had to crawl about 1/2 mile to the truck :o he finally got to the hospital about 4:00 in the afternoon and said it happened before lunch.
thats the danger working of working alone your not anymore likely to get hurt just no one to help if you do

dgdrls

Very sad news,  my condolences to the family and very sorry for your loss. 

DGDrls

Martha White Nelson

So sorry for the loss of your friend.  I'm praying for you and his family.
Martha

lumberjack48

Very sorry to here this, On the ground logging is more dangerous then people think. You can lose your life, its just like stepping on a Ant, yes that quick.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

timberlinetree

Very sad. Condolences and prays to the family and his friends .
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

luvmexfood

Quote from: lumberjack48 on June 22, 2015, 05:55:08 PM
  Very sorry to here this, On the ground logging is more dangerous then people think. You can lose your life, its just like stepping on a Ant, yes that quick.
Lumberjack is correct. That quick. Cut a larger tree Saturday. Not steep ground, fairly clear around it. When it started over I backed away. Unknowing to me an old down sapling was partially buried in the leaves. Tree landed on it down the hill and it somehow smacked my leg. Not bad but enough to stove up my hip a little. That quick.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

nmericle53

A loss is a loss no matter how it happens but when it is a friend or someone that makes his living in the timber industry like most everyone on the FF it makes it a little harder. So sorry for the loss of your friend and for his family. Such a tragedy. May God bless all involved.
Thank you GOD for blessing me much more than I deserve.

sandsawmill14

Thank You Sponsors!