iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outrigger won't stay up on my backhoe.

Started by LeeB, June 19, 2015, 09:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

The outrigger on my back hoe leaks off when in the stowed position. Don't know if the valve spool is leaking or the cylinder. Any ideas on how to check which it is? I haven't noticed it leaking off when deployed and don't hear fluid bypassing when putting it down or up. Kinda leads me to think it might be the cylinder.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Maybe disconnect the hyd. line(s) and see if the leakage is internal to the cylinder.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

I thought about that. I'll give it a try when I get home. I'll also make up a stethoscope so I can listen to the valve block. I also figure I can do the same thing with the spool.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Weekend_Sawyer

Stow it, disconnect the hoses from the cylinder and replace with plugs.
See if it leaks down.

2nd thing  I'd do is pull the cylinder apart and check the seals. That's probably easier than disassembling the stack to get to the spool.

Good luck
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

wetdog

From a cold start crank the machine and let engine warm up. Pull up both outriggers and keep holding the the valves in the up position for about 1min with engine at about 2000rpm. Then shut machine off and go feel the temp of the cylinders. If one is hotter than the other, it is an internal leaking packing. If no temp change, its probably your valve.

LeeB

Brucer

That's exactly what my brother (the heavy duty mechanic) told me to do when I suspected a leaking cylinder. He also told me that with some cylinder designs you have to keep the cylinder from fully extending (or retracting, as the case may be).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Both of my backhoes are doing it on one side. The outriggers did not start to come down on their own until the temps got above 95°. I'm thinking the HD fluid is getting really thin in this heat.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ScottAR

I've noticed the outriggers on my backhoe leak down a bit faster in the summer...  This heat is hard on everything including me...   ::)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

bigred1951

Just get some chain and chain it up when not in use. Problem solved :)

ScottAR

I just reach back there and raise it back up when I go to use it.   :D
Might take it 3 weeks or longer to leak down but I've resealed both of them over the years. 

It's not complicated work but a bit heavy. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Dixon700

I just put both of mine down when I park it. The one that the dealer repacked when I bought leaks down after like 3 weeks.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

LeeB

Three weeks would be fine, it's the three hours or less that bothers me. It was repacked and I suspect it was poorly done. I guess I'll just back my ears and do it again. (old saying) I didn't do it the first time. I haven't repacked the ones on the backhoe but have done many cylinders over the years and some on my dozer recently. Nothing complicated, but it can be a chore on the bigger ones if you don't have the right tools.

Weekend_Sawyer

Gotta lick your calf over. That's what my mother would say when you didn't do it right the first time.  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ScottAR

I would have a look over the chrome rod for any burrs or gouges before I started.  Hate to spend the time for a reseal to have your pretty new seals chewed up by a burr. 
Scott
[Magicman]

kiko

The barrel pack of the cylinder can actually swell over time and allow fluid to slowly bypass seals even new ones. Especially on out rigger cylinders where most of the load is applied with the rod extended all the way.  The swell may not be see able as It may be just thousands of a inch.  When working and cylinder hold load,  maybe pressure pushing seals outward towards barrel creating a better seal. 

justallan1

The ranch I work for has an old JD 410 that they bleed off, so I just drop them both along with the boom too just in case some idiot parks to close.
I've used several backhoes that have a foot or so of chain fixed to the body and had a hook on the outrigger to hook the chain in and then let it down. Make sure to have some slack in your chain when your outrigger is all the way up. :)

Ford_man

If it leaks in the stowed position and not in the work position it has to be the valve. if it were the cyl it would leak both ways. :-\ :-\

Thank You Sponsors!