iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another video...MS660 update & 272 vs. 372 discussion

Started by weimedog, June 18, 2015, 06:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

So to answer a common question... 272 vs. 372.. relative difference in power. Have some saws that represent those two classes of saws and a test log.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_LLdoEXK6k
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Maine logger88

Good video! I always wondered how much difference there was between a 272 and 372 I do remember when I first got my 2171 running it beside my 272 and it was night and day but a 2 day old 2171 vs a 10 year old 272 isn't really fair
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lumberjack48

Very good video, you do it right, by running the same bar and chain on each saw. I ran Husqvarna and Jonsered for about 16 yrs, yr round logging. At one time i had 9 266's, good saw with your normal Husky problems, switch quits working, choke lever falls off, mufflers come louse and you have to be careful when bucking up big wood or felling big timber. If you stay in the throttle to long you'll  score the piston every time.
  When i switched over to Stihl i had none of these issues. I could run Stihl much harder then a Husky and never score the piston. I wouldn't say this if i hadn't witnessed it first hand. I ran Stihl 5 yrs before i got hurt and 6yrs after i got hurt, running a crew, never scoring a piston. I lost count of how my pistons i scored when running Husqvarna.
  I wish i could be in on your little cutting bee with a 034 Super. A 16 inch bar, my carb settings, full comp chain, filed to my spec's. Its like hanging on to a wild animal, you don't have time to get down on one knee. The first thing i do is take the dogs off, all they do is hang the saw up when bucking up.
  I stop at my cousin's one Sunday, he was bragging up his 066. I said, Gary i have a 034 that will beat that 066 in your wood pile, he laughed :D, i said lets do it. He needed time to get his logging cloths on to just cut a few pieces of wood. After he gets his Donkey pants on with suspenders he goes out to his pickup. Gets the 066, opens the tailgate, gets all his filing gauges out, starts filing. I think he was trying to scare me with all his prep work. My saw was ready to go, i did all this after dinner the night before. I won't bore you anymore, after we had our cutting contest, i seen him a few days later. I asked him how his 066 was running. He said, Heck after running your 034, i traded it for two 034's :o
  In the 70's i bought a new 90 Jonsered, 24 inch bar, why !! I carried this saw all day, felling Aspen pulpwood and felling and limbing Balsam pulp, some 2/3 stick stuff. I kept up turn for turn with the skidder. What i liked about the 90 was that you wren't gassing up all the time, you were praying it would run out of gas so you'd get a break. This saw was a over kill for what i was using for.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

HolmenTree

Lumberjack,
Very true about the old Huskies and Stihls. Alot of heat was transferred from the Huskie's cylinder to carb through those  2 long studs. On a hot day with hard cutting alot of lean condition happening there.
Stihls had that problem  solved with the rubber thermal insulating intake manifold.  It didn't  take Husqvarna  long to catch onto the idea later on.

I liked my old Jonsereds 90 too. But I liked the silver top 80 better.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

weimedog

The 372 series was an upgrade in so many ways, that 660 is an anomaly because its all AM but still runs pretty well. I'm going to run it until winter then it's getting the 56mm cylinder from the same manufacturer ... 56mm vs. 54mm....lighter and more power?  ::) It's also going to get a "trial by fire" as I plan to use it for milling this fall....long hard cuts ... flat out for 18-20 minutes! Melted the pulse line on my 920's and made the gas boil in an old Homelite I used. Had a Mac 797 that did that work with no issues.....curious have the MS660 AM will compare.

I always wonder what those intake pipe/boots are going to look like in 30-40 years, especially  with the newer gas blends with alcohol.... we KNOW what the intake blocks on the Husky 61-272's look like after that period of time! AND I can make my own gaskets with those blocks when they are NLA... wonder if boots for all the different models of Husqvarna and Stihl are going to be available 50 years from now... (won't matter to me, but the next generation of "Cad" folks are going to deal with that...bet those old 272 series of saws will still be out there cutting )  :-\

I don't know much about Stihl's and certainly never ran a 56cc 034, Maybe if I run into one I'll build a video with one of those along with the 257/262 series of saws.. AND throw my 555 in for a mix! That might be a fun afternoon.

It's certainly hard to beat the power to weight along with the cost of that 372 series of saws though. And there are some many ways to tweak them along with AM support I can't think of a better saw to work with both from a hobby and "real" perspective.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Spike60

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 23, 2015, 02:36:42 PM
Alot of heat was transferred from the Huskie's cylinder to carb through those  2 long studs. On a hot day with hard cutting alot of lean condition happening there.
Stihls had that problem  solved with the rubber thermal insulating intake manifold.  It didn't  take Husqvarna  long to catch onto the idea later on.

Yeah, the old heat transfer problem. Not just the studs, but the intake block itself would also transfer heat. Gotta admit I only found this out somewhat recently myself. When chainging the occasional ripped boot, I'd wonder why they ever went away from the intake blocks which never seemed to go bad. But an older dealer who's been in it since the 70's explained it all to me. Keep in mind the primary change when going from the 394 to the 395 was to get rid of the block in favor of the boot. Obviously they planned on that chassis still being around for a while and it still is. The rest of the 300 series saws were of course introduced with intake boots, and that continues with the 400 and 500 series saws.

So, does that mean intake blocks should be avoided? Of course not. Certainly not by any of us here. Full time use in the woods on a 90+ degree day, that issue might arise. But there are still many thousands of those saws still running 20 some years after the intake blocks gave way to rubber boots. As a firewood saw it's almost still an advantage as you'll never have to worry about a torn boot.  :)

But.............I wouldn't say that Husky got the idea from Stihl. Intake boots were already in use on the Jonsered side of the family at that time.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

HolmenTree

I remember  logging  with the old Jonsereds and the newer 630 back in the 70s and early 80s.
I had to carry that little  screwdriver in my pocket  that came with the saw. Vibration from normal cutting would throw out the H and L carb settings and resetting the carb was a routine procedure. Great learning  curve for us old timers to learn to set a saw with the practice  ;D

The 038 and 034 Stihls  I used with my 630 never had that problem  thanks to the rubber boot disallowing vibration  to the carb.

Back to thermal isolation.  When the 044AV was introduced in 1988-89 the big joke in the Stihl branch offices  was Husqvarna  put chrome on the 268XP 's  carb intake manifold  studs to cut down on heat transfer.
It was quite the era as the 268XP was the main competition  for the "new kid on the block  044AV ".
A short time later the enlarged 268 to 272XP  was born  . And I believe  there was some improvements done to the 272XP's intake manifold for thermal and vibration  isolation.
I'll  have to go out to the shop and take a look at mine :)

HolmenTree

Quote from: Spike60 on June 25, 2015, 06:47:36 AM
But.............I wouldn't say that Husky got the idea from Stihl. Intake boots were already in use on the Jonsered side of the family at that time.
Yes the Jonsered 2051 Turbo introduced  in 1988 put a scare in the industry's competition at the time. That little saw sure started something.
It even made Popular  Mechanics "Best New Product of the Year" in 1988. :)

Spike60

2051 and 2055 were very smooth as well. Of the 2, I like the 2055 better. Too bad Husky never got a version of those saws. Obviously they already had that ground covered with the 254XP. But had Husky also adopted them, there'd still be parts available.

Pretty sure the 272 and 268 intake blocks are the same. As least in shape. There may have been a material change. I'll look through the SB's and see if there is anything there.

Funny, but from this discussion we might conclude that the Jonsered 670 would be a better choice than the 266-272 as it has a rubber boot intake. 25 years ago anyway. Problem today is that 670 boots are NLA, so if you have a failure it won't be easy to locate a boot. And there are 2 different ones BTW.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!