iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stump grinder question

Started by bmc2006, June 18, 2015, 02:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmc2006

Hi all.  I'm new to the site.  I've been looking at getting into doing some tree work part time.  I have my own small landscaping company, and often have customers ask about taking down trees.  I will take down small trees and bushes, but my insurance doesn't cover anything over a certain height if something was to happen.  I have a contract climber I used to take down trees that I am not able to do, and then I handle the haul off and cleanup.  Over time I have started to do a lot more tree work, and have been looking for a used stump grinder to put to work. 

Since this is somewhat of a trial run, I'm trying to keep my budget low and if it is a good fit for me, I will upgrade equipment quickly.  I already have a 8" chipper, and dump trailer to haul away anything I cant chip.  So now my main thing is a stump grinder. 

I have found one local to me that I think might be a potential, but since I'm new to this I don't know much about them such as common problems, maintenance, reasonable price for machines, and what to charge for stumps.  I've found a 1992 Rayco 1620 Super Jr.  There is no hour meter, so I don't know how much it has been used.  The guy has had it for 2 years now and has done a lot of work to it.  He put a new 25HP Kohler engine on it, all new hydraulic hoses, new tires, new pulleys and belts, new pins and bushings, new teeth, a new grinder skirt, and a new battery.  I've looked up pictures and it seems they have single or double back wheels, and this is a single.  No trailer included.  I have not seen it in person yet, but from the pictures it doesn't look very beat up. 

He's asking $3,900.  Any input on this machine?  Like I said, my budget is limited at this point until I see if its for me.   

Also, how do most people charge for stump grinding?  Any help is appreciated!

ABTS

First off the super Jr is OK for small stumps but anything goes big it is way to slow. I had one it does OK I ended up buying a vermeer tract grinder with a 60 horse now that one would chew . Go as big as you can time is money the faster in and out the more you get done. Price all depends on size of stump.  The area you live in also makes a difference some charge by in some buy time.

Ed_K

Look at the   Tree and Landscape mag. they advertize all over the US.
Ed K

Wallys World

I have a 1625 Super JR. It works great, but it is light weight. Sometimes you need the weight. I have done large (4 foot) stumps but like was said before it will take time. I have the 25 horse Kohler on it. Sometimes I wish it was 100 horse!

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

bmc2006

Any input on machine value? 

Wallys World

Not a bad price, any extra teeth and what brand of teeth. Expect to change teeth often, sometimes only after a stump or two, depends if there is rock around it or not. I try always to go and look at the stump, been burnt only phone quotes. Look at the lay of the land, any tight areas, underground utilities. I charge by the stump on small jobs, if it is a large job, I did one that was 40 stumps, gave a quote for the whole job. Works out between $50-75/hour.
Hope that helps.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

s grinder

bmc2006,Grinding stumps,is more than meets the eye.Here in New England the glacier wasn't kind to us,their's rocks everywhere including inside stumps.You should be mechanical incline to own one for they are very high maintance. I have a small grinding business with two grinders and wouldn't think of anyone running them but myself.Also check out the bearings that support the grinding wheel,they are expensive to replace and do take a beating.I would like to see it grind,and maybe the owner can show you how to grind if not familiar. Could be a nice little machine,but like said before you have to go easy with it.

Thank You Sponsors!