iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big oops

Started by petefrom bearswamp, June 18, 2015, 08:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Major oops, stupid move yesterday.
Backed the blade guide into the clamp and bent the motor bracket and the sprocket as well as kinked the blade and broke the chain.
Not sure if I can straighten the bracket properly.
got the parts ordered but may take the mill to WM Hannibal for a complete adjustment check.
Guess I will be doing some much needed housekeeping around the mill for the next few days.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

Stuff happens, Pete!

If I lived as close to Hannibal as you do, that's where the mill would go!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

I did that going into it, did bend the bracket just got all apart and bend it back. :D :D
Then I did a full alignment.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Sounds a little familiar, never quite that bad, and hate to hear it, there have been some near brushes though, where the blade rides up just a hair when it rides over the top before I can pull it out wider.  Not saying you did this, but man when I get greedy with the back stops and clamp, there have been some bite marks along the way ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bkaimwood

Poop happens...I backed out of a cant last weekend a few feet in without disengaging the blade..it caught and wrecked the new blade I just put on one cut earlier... Sawed that log for free...and behind on the next one...
bk

woodmills1

It really isn't yours till you bend it and saw some metal.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ocklawahaboy

I caught myself almost doing that the other day.  Evidence suggests it may have been done before I got the mill, although not with that much damage.

Magicman

I did the exact same thing a few years ago.  Whacked it bad.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

And when you use the drag back on the last board. Best to have all the steel down. :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

petefrom bearswamp

Problem there Peter, I haven't modified my mill so that i can lower the clamp when at the end of the cut.
I should have been more diligent in retracting the blade guide arm.
My neighbor bought a bunch of heavy duty wire and modified his so that he can work everything when at that end of the mill.
I'm still waiting for the parts to tackle this repair.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on June 20, 2015, 07:42:23 AM
Problem there Peter, I haven't modified my mill so that i can lower the clamp when at the end of the cut.
I should have been more diligent in retracting the blade guide arm.
My neighbor bought a bunch of heavy duty wire and modified his so that he can work everything when at that end of the mill.
I'm still waiting for the parts to tackle this repair.

I did mine when I was cutting one log, and looking at the next one. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dan_Shade

don't feel too bad, I once hit my the chrome part of the clamp's cylinder with my debarker blade.

that was an expensive lesson.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Brucer

I guess that's one advantage of having a standard hydraulic mill instead of a super hydraulic. I've clipped the clamp the odd time but the carriage just stops. Haven't bent anything or even knocked anything out of alignment (yet).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

petefrom bearswamp

No parts yet.
I started addressing the damage yesterday and i think one of the cam bolts that adjust the rollers is bent.
Im going to call WM this morning and set up an appointment to go ther and have them handle it.
Brucer, I have hit the clamp when sawing and the slower speed just made the head stop.
Returning however is at a much higher speed.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Nomad

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on June 22, 2015, 07:26:29 AM
No parts yet.
I started addressing the damage yesterday and i think one of the cam bolts that adjust the rollers is bent.
Im going to call WM this morning and set up an appointment to go ther and have them handle it.
Brucer, I have hit the clamp when sawing and the slower speed just made the head stop.

I replaced my cam bolts recently 'cuz I I'd bent them in something similar.  Turns out that even though they're bent, the weldment they're attached to is actually bent:(.  Happened before I bought the mill, but it means my adjustments for the guide arm are at the limits even with new parts.  I'm still studying how to fix this to get it back to normal.  I'm annoyed.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

When I was backing up and hit my clamp, I bent the cam bolts and knocked the blade guide arm completely off of the mill.  I patched it up, adjusted what would adjust and kept sawing until I scheduled a visit from the WM service truck.  Bob had everything on the truck that was needed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: nomad on June 22, 2015, 07:39:08 PM

I replaced my cam bolts recently 'cuz I I'd bent them in something similar.  Turns out that even though they're bent, the weldment they're attached to is actually bent:(.  Happened before I bought the mill, but it means my adjustments for the guide arm are at the limits even with new parts.  I'm still studying how to fix this to get it back to normal.  I'm annoyed.

I did that, I just took all the stuff off the ¼" steel plate the cam bolts go through.
Use a big monkey wrench and bent it back flat, straight.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Brucer

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on June 22, 2015, 07:26:29 AM
... I have hit the clamp when sawing and the slower speed just made the head stop.

Yeah, that's the problem with super hydraulics ;D. Your higher return speed is way faster than my higher return speed ;D. It also helps that I'm (ab)using a board return that was meant for the super hydraulic so my drive belt is always on the verge of slipping.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

petefrom bearswamp

Got to WM Hannibal at 8:15 this AM
Barry worked on my blade guide arm and fixed a problem with the board return, adjusted the drive belt.
Bought one new blade and a grinding wheel (rock to you southern boys) and was out the door at 11:15 AM
Cost was only $198.00 a bargain as far as I'm concerned.
Great service there.
This week is crazy with high school grads for one grandson and an 8th grade for granddaughter 200 miles away.
wont saw til next week.
I told Dave Scott at WM that the alignment is probably so good I'll start charging more for my lumber.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

Barry is good at fixing things.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Nomad

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 22, 2015, 09:44:44 PM
Quote from: nomad on June 22, 2015, 07:39:08 PM

I did that, I just took all the stuff off the ¼" steel plate the cam bolts go through.
Use a big monkey wrench and bent it back flat, straight.

That was enough to take care of it?  Thanks Peter; I'll give that a try soon as I get a break!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

If you look you will see the wheel that the arm rides on the bottom one on the drive side will be out of plumb.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!