iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trailer arch for road

Started by jaciausa, June 18, 2015, 07:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaciausa

I have seen some of the trailer arches that members have built, but can not find any of them to use as examples. I have a manual tilting dual axle 10,000 lb trailer and material arch that was used  on roofs, for construction, with gas winch. I am modifying the arch for height and strength if needed. My questions. How far off end of trailer have others mounted the arch ? Height of arch off of floor. This has to be removable and using the pockets in trailer about 1 foot from rear seems to be the easiest. I do not know if this would be less functional then mounting to rear end of trailer. Trailer has 2 foot beaver tail also.

beenthere

I may not be following what you describe, but am thinking you might be talking the DanG Deadheader loader idea.

Here is a link...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,76289.msg1157562.html#msg1157562

Search on DanG Deadheader loader for other good hits and pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jaciausa

Thanks, That was one of the arches on a trailer that I have seen. It looks like what I want to do. I will email him and see how his has worked out or if there are any changes to arch position or such that he would make. Thanks again for the link.

elk42

Jaciausa,

This works best me and so simple. I use the trailer for many other things so I need something that is on and off easy.
  I pull the log up and sit it on the dove tail.

Move the block to the side and pull up on  the trailer.

Unhook block and pull log on trailer 

All these logs were 2 trips

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

jaciausa

That is simple. It looks like a lot simpler and lighter to remove then what I had planned. Thanks for sharing your idea. Showing how you use the block from side to side solves the big problem of wrestling logs with limb stubs & crooks. The leg toward front of trailer, is it over a metal support that is under trailer planks?

elk42

J-usa
Yes it is over a support. The pipe is 1 1/4 sch.80 And the brace is 1" sch.80 The chains
carry most of the load. 
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,

47sawdust

elk42
Your fabrication skill and your eye for a simple straight forward design is very impressive.The work you have done on the loader and your mill is first rate.
If others haven't seen his handy work check out his gallery.
Thanks,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

gww

What is the smallest winch used with setups like pictured in this thread.
gww

elk42

Hello 47sawdust
  I was amazed how well it did work. The only change I will make is to make a little higher for double stacking better.
  gww
  I am using a 9000# Badland from HF.  They just had a 12000# on sale for 299.00
Be sure to get a wireless remote.

Left Coast Chris

Here is a pic of our propane tank trailer arch in case you decide to go in that direction. The arch is directly over the torsion axles.   

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

gww

elk
Thanks for the answer.
gww

Thank You Sponsors!