iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's every one paying for tie logs?

Started by jdw, June 17, 2015, 10:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdw

What's the going price for tie logs? I been getting mine off a logger I been working with and when I sell the ties we been doing a 50/50 split. Does this sound about right? :)

Ron Wenrich

Do you split the side wood?  How do you handle the rejects?  Most often ties are bought on the Doyle scale.  If the logs are on the small side, that gives a pretty good overrun.  Overrun makes your log prices go down.  For example, you can make a 7x9 out of a straight 12" log.  That scales out to 32 bf.  Log costs @ $200/Mbf would be $6.40.  If you're selling ties @ $20 each, then the logger makes an additional $3.60 per log, which is 56% more.  Breakeven point is 14".  If you're getting a lot of logs at 14" and up and you're not splitting the side wood, then it's a good deal. 

Usually, the tie company will pick up trucking.  Are you splitting that as well?  If you're splitting side wood, then I'm not sure its such a good deal. 

Higher priced ties would bring that breakeven price up.  You'll have to get a pencil out to see how that works out.  Does he supply other logs, and how is that handled?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

drobertson

It seems that every region has different pricing and scaling of the logs.  Here it's by the ton for the most part, smaller outfits and independent loggers will sell by the international scale.  It's all the same and boils down to 380/thous.   I've cut and sold off the tail and split the sales, it boils down to an average after log purchase to just over 300/thous.  So I figure just saw more and make more.  The mother load comes in once in a while and makes it worth it, other times the wife wants to sell my mill ;D and that's not funny, really.
I really hate concrete floors with no windows,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jdw

I'm keeping all the side lumber. So might not be a bad deal I got going. ;D

JB Griffin

Tie logs are graded down here but this is tie country too, if you see a sawmill in north Arkansas it saws ties. #1 logs $400mbf, #2 $375mbf, #3 or cant logs $200mbf, Seconds( gum, elm, sycamore, ash, hackberry) $325mbf,  All Doyle scale.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

WH_Conley

Here it is $450.00 Doyle scale or half and the mill keeps the side lumber.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!