iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burning Walnut

Started by Ribsy, June 17, 2015, 06:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ribsy

Curious for a quick response. Knowing that walnut sawdust is toxic to some animals, are there any toxicity issues relating burning it?

Will be producing some waste slabs from the mill tomorrow...
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

beenthere

Know of none, other than all smoke likely carries some warning to breathing it (or trying to). But there will be those who pull the panic button..  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

I agree. I've heard of some folks using black walnut for smoking meat.

Horses may be affected by black walnut chips or sawdust when they are used for bedding material.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Ribsy

Thanks guys! I can add firewood slabs for sale rather than pay dump fees!!! And thats a good thing! 👍
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

Ianab

The toxic juglone, that affects animals and plants, breaks down in the fire. So the smoke and ash are no more toxic than any other wood.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SLawyer Dave

I have a firewood customer that insists she has an  allergic reaction if she burns walnut, (as she is also allergic to walnut pollen).  So she buys oak firewood from me instead.  That is the only "first" hand experience I have ever had with such issues.  As Ian posted, most of the chemicals, molds, mildews, and other "irritants" that wood can naturally harbor are generally burned and or converted by the heat of the fire.  Wood and ash fibers themselves, however, are considered carcinogenic and irritants, so some may be more susceptible than others.

Ianab

Some people can get an allergic reaction from just touching various woods, including walnut. But in that case it's probably from picking up the wood to load it into the fire that makes her itch or something. Other 99% of the population wont be bothered.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!