iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying crosscut slices of a huge old log

Started by DavidB, June 16, 2015, 11:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidB

I have the opportunity to harvest slices from a huge old water oak.  The base is around 5' diameter and the trunk has an incredible shape that would make some amazing cross-section tables.  I'm willing to invest some time and money if necessary to dry these properly if that is at all possible.  I've heard/read about using PEG but these are going to some pretty large pieces and there could be more than a few of them if I want.  Is vacuum kiln drying an option for curing large cross-section slices without cracking?

I have some experience sawing and drying slabs (with a small homemade DH kiln in my garage) and I have a sawyer who can handle the cutting.  I've never attempted cross-grain slabs though and I know it's a different animal.  Am I wasting my time?

Here are a couple of pics of the trunk. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ianab

While I think oak would be tricky to dry in a cookie, the shape of that log, with the big bark inclusions might work in your favour. They act as natural expansion gaps that can open up as the wood dries, and prevent it cracking as badly as a perfectly round log.

That's not to say that there wont be some cracks to fill after the wood dries, but I think you might be able to save them,
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

DavidB,welcome to the forum. I sure would like to see the finished product.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!