iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Floor Surface Question

Started by foresterstan, June 16, 2015, 03:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foresterstan

I have just set up my Koetter KDK4000 kiln and am running the first loads through it. 
At certain times in the schedule a lot of water is collecting on the floor and seeping under the edge of the kiln.  I sealed the wall/floor joint with a tar strip under the wall, but the water seems to be soaking into the unsealed concrete and seeping out on the other side.
it isn't a big volume of water coming out, just wondering about the long term effects to the pad. 
is this a problem?  Should I seal the concrete surface, if so, with what?

-fs

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It depends on whether limestone was used in the cement mix or not, because the lime will dissolve with long term water contact, especially when the water is acidic, which it is in most kilns due to wood's acidity.

Technically, the floor temperature is lower than the wet-bulb temperature, so moisture is condensing...an inexpensive dehumidifier.  However, the floor can be so cool led that it will be impossible to reach the desired higher humidity levels in the kiln during the wintertime.  Using a lower than desired humidity can result in checking with woods like oak, etc.

Note that water condensation on the floor is common when the floor is not well insulated.  So, consider having a narrow trench dug around the foundation maybe two feet deep and then put insulation foam board (blue board is one name for it) to insulate the underground portion, plus run the board up the exterior concrete above ground.  The board needs to be tight against the concrete.  Consider cutting in a small drain to the outside if condensation continues, using a plastic pipe.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!