iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SCMI shaper need help

Started by Larry, June 15, 2015, 08:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I picked up a SCMI T-120 shaper a couple of weeks ago.  For those that haven't seen one they are a medium size Italian beast.  1,100 pounds, 6.6 horsepower, and 5 speeds.  Pretty nice fence also.

The machine was in use making parts by the elderly owner when I bought it.  It was an online auction and my bid was made assuming it would need parts/work.  After getting it home I checked it over and it could use spindle bearings.

I downloaded a parts manual but it doesn't discuss bearing replacement.  I assume the best procedure is to pull the quill from the machine and start taking it apart.

I think a few forum members have this machine and wondering if there are any things to watch when doing the bearing job.

Got rained out of a sawing job today so I fabricated a proper wrench to loosen the spindle nut.  I can see where someone used a hammer, chisel, and pipe wrench to remove it in the past.  The new wrench popped the spindle out easy...I'm sure easier than the monkey with chisel and hammer got it out the last time.

The 1 1/4" spindle is all I got with the machine so if you know a machinery dealer with a 3/4" spindle I'm buying.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Don_Papenburg

Heck if you can make a fine wrench make your own spindle. 8)
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

tule peak timber

.Larry , you might want to try joining the MiniMax discussion group. There are a couple of guys on that site that live and breath SCM equipment. I run a lot of SCM gear but cannot answer your questions. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Just Me

Great find Larry!

I had a 120 until recently. Bought it new and it never needed a thing so I can't help you on the bearing replacement, sorry. I needed something with a bigger opening so sold it and bought a Unitronix, but not because there was anything wrong with the SCMI.  Nice!

Larry

hackberry jake

Looks like another planed machine surface. You get all the good surfaces.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Larry

The top is in good condition and should clean up to be like new.

I joined MiniMax group...first think I noticed was some really impressive pictures by one of our members here. :)

A thought occurred yesterday that I might be able to translate my parts manual from Italian to English.  Sure enough google has a translator, so now I can understand what all the foot notes are telling me.

So, its progress. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Just Me

SCM manuals suck. You would think they would get a decent translator. Good thing they don't break much. I need to put new boots on my planer and the manual is no help, just going to have to wing it.

Ironically the Polish made Unitronix shaper I have has the best and most complete manual I have ever seen. Other than greasable bearings rather than oil bath it is an exact copy of an old Martin. I sent a manual to a friend of mine with an old Martin and he uses the Uni manual.

I use a product called Ospho to clean up the planed tops. Its a rapid oxidizer, works well and is easy.

Larry

Thank You Sponsors!