iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Future of Computer Software in our Chainsaws?

Started by HolmenTree, June 15, 2015, 06:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

A good read here what may be in the future for our chainsaws.
We all know John Deere and Stihl dealerships are now common under one roof...............

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

4x4American

I read this awhile back, and I still say, that they can kiss my white....(golf ball?)
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

Quote from: 4x4American on June 15, 2015, 07:01:59 PM
I read this awhile back, and I still say, that they can kiss my white....(golf ball?)

tailgate?  rear bumper? :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

bandmiller2

I've got enough puter free tractors and chainsaws to last me this life and half the next. Just wish I had kept some of the nice old trucks I've owned. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

4x4American

:D :D

Its crazy the prices they cost now they want to own them too?  Sounds like something our oh so trustworthy gov't has a hand in.
Boy, back in my day..

Ianab

Strangely enough it's coming from the computer industry.

Think you "own" the software that's loaded onto the computer you are reading this on? Read the fine print again, you bought a licence to use the program. The actual code belongs to  Microsoft or Apple. Unless you want to go with Open Source software, where it's licensed but not actually "owned" by anyone.

So who wants to design an open source Chainsaw?  :P ???  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HolmenTree

Mind boogling to me, I just bought my first Apple computer and now it's  a whole new learning  curve to me. :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mad murdock

Quote from: Ianab on June 15, 2015, 11:50:22 PM
Strangely enough it's coming from the computer industry.

Think you "own" the software that's loaded onto the computer you are reading this on? Read the fine print again, you bought a licence to use the program. The actual code belongs to  Microsoft or Apple. Unless you want to go with Open Source software, where it's licensed but not actually "owned" by anyone.

So who wants to design an open source Chainsaw?  :P ???  :D
I am all for an open source chainsaw!  I think we should start with the 10 series McC.  I bet the U.S. military purchased some over the years on contract, if so, there will be drawings, and production information that would be public information.  With the computerized prototyping and production available for relatively low cost today, it could be done. I work on some helicopters that were produced for the US Army under DOD contract, and have a full set of DOD dual engineering documents that contain all of the production and engineering drawings (blueprints) for the whole helicopter, that were made available through FOIA. Could be done with anything purchased with public funds for DOD, as long as information is not classified.  There is a lot out there!
8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

missedbass

I wonder if the computer chips have a lifespan built into it like Makita batteries
Stihl ms271
Fiskars x27

OldJack

The real concern for most farmers isn't who owns the software, but what happens to the collected data. So the monitors know what, where and when you seeded, sprayed and harvested and then the data is transmitted to John Deere by JDLink.

https://www.deere.ca/en_US/products/equipment/ag_management_solutions/information_management/jdlink/jdlink.page

So John Deere knows everything and can sell the data to Monsanto. That is something I don't need.  >:(

4x4American

Quote from: missedbass on June 16, 2015, 05:41:11 PM
I wonder if the computer chips have a lifespan built into it like Makita batteries

Is that what the deal is?  I have a Makita 18v cordless drill.  Works great, I love it.  Have had it for 2 years.  All of a sudden one day, the batteries won't charge anymore.  I get the two lights blinking on the charger that means they're shot.  What the heck is that about!  It worked fine a few days ago!
Boy, back in my day..

JohnG28

My 18v Hitachi cordless set is something like 6 or 7 years old. Batteries still last forever and charge in an hour. When they do wear out, which I don't expect soon, I know what will replace them!  ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

missedbass

Quote from: 4x4American on June 17, 2015, 08:27:21 PM
Quote from: missedbass on June 16, 2015, 05:41:11 PM

Is that what the deal is?  I have a Makita 18v cordless drill.  Works great, I love it.  Have had it for 2 years.  All of a sudden one day, the batteries won't charge anymore.  I get the two lights blinking on the charger that means they're shot.  What the heck is that about!  It worked fine a few days ago!
That's what I heard- there fine one day then they won't charge the next day, no warning. You can try to get them replaced under warranty
Stihl ms271
Fiskars x27

cbla

Thank You Sponsors!