Started by riddelin, June 15, 2015, 05:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riddelin

hello,
i have a lot of hemlock on my property in Alton NH
does anyone know if it's worth much, and who would buy it

thanks

NH-Murph

I'm not up on the market for it, but it makes nice beams and structural wood.  I'm saving all mine until I stack up enough pennies for a mill so I can make all my own beams for my next few barns and sheds. 

rockwall

Here in Central Maine hemlock has never been worth much in terms of money, I think mills are paying $200 mbf sometimes more for long logs up to 32 feet. However it makes great building material for all construction projects, it is a little heavier and some will say you can't nail it when it is dry. I have a lot of it and have used it for many building projects from 12x12s to boards. Just sticker it properly and you should be all set.

John Mc

The timber frame on our house is Hemlock. If you don;t have a lot of ring shake, a timber framer might be interested. It's stronger than pine for construction, so a Timber Framer can use slightly smaller beams to get the same strength.

Or as others have mentioned, it makes great wood for various construction projects or siding, since it's fairly rot resistant (best if it's not used in the ground).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!