iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New at sawing and trying to get started right - advice?

Started by btulloh, June 14, 2015, 09:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

I'm new to the forum and new to sawing.  I've got a Woodland Mills HM126 on the way.  Thought I'd start out small and work my way up, sideways, or down.  We're in Richmond, VA and summer is not the best time for logging and sawing, so I plan to use the next couple months to ease in and get ready for some real work in the fall and winter. I've poked around and found lot's of good info on this forum, and I really have started to figure out what I don't know, which is pretty much everything.

My first goal is cut a bunch of stickers and some cribbing.  Probably sweet gum and soft maple.  I also have some EWP (which in this climate is very soft and full of limbs.)  Don't know exactly what I can use it for, but I get a lot of blow downs every year, so I want to try and find some use for it.  Siding maybe? 

So my questions are:

Stickers - Air dry?  make a small solar kiln?  Use some green for now and just live with it? 

Cribbing and 6x6's - What's the best way to dry this stuff?  Or use it green for now?

Air drying - I've read the pamphlet from the forest service.  I need make some decent stacks for for some of my initial test lumber.  Can I just use some green sweet gum for sills?

I'm looking forward to trying to get this stuff right, but I see it's not all that simple.  Any advice I get on avoiding stupid mistakes early would be greatly appreciated.
HM126

Den-Den

I am just barely past the raw beginner myself at sawing.  Stickers will air dry fairly fast and don't really need kiln drying IMO.  I have been using 4 x 6 for cribbing, cut it from poor quality logs and use it wet (I do put a dry sticker on the cribs under the first layer of boards).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Brad_bb

I've learned that I get enough stickers from the outside cuts that will not make any good lumber.  I don't set out to make stickers, or use good lumber boards to make stickers.  Stickers are a by product when you are sawing I would say.  I mean you use the wood that would otherwise be waste.  If you need longer stickers that may change the game a little bit.  For single stacks I've been going as short as 10 inches long on stickers.  If you're cutting big logs for better quality wide board, then you may n eed 48 inch stickers.

Yes let them air dry if you can.  Try not to use them green.  I have had to sometimes, but it's on thick stuff that's going to get planed anyway.  If they are wet/green, more likely to stain or mold.

I'm not sure if you want to make cribbing just to cut something?  I prefer not to cut unless I know what I want out of it.  Even so, if say I want a timber or some thick slabs, you're still going to get some 4/4 or 5/4 boards from the outside in addition to to some sticker wood on the very outside.

When you say you need to make some decent stacks, do you mean you need to put down some timbers to keep your stacks off the ground?  Where are you planning to store your lumber while dying?  Will you keep it out of the sun and rain?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

btulloh

I need some cribbing for general use around here.  Thought I'd get started with some of that until I get some stickers ready to use.  And yes - I want to put down some timbers to keep the stuff off the ground.  I can either dry under a shed or out in the open with a cover on top.  When I really get going this fall, I'm going to be sawing a bunch of loblolly for construction lumber and I won't have enough covered space, so it'll probably have to be out in the open.

HM126

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: btulloh on June 14, 2015, 11:05:07 AM
I need some cribbing for general use around here.  Thought I'd get started with some of that until I get some stickers ready to use.  And yes - I want to put down some timbers to keep the stuff off the ground.  I can either dry under a shed or out in the open with a cover on top.  When I really get going this fall, I'm going to be sawing a bunch of loblolly for construction lumber and I won't have enough covered space, so it'll probably have to be out in the open.

What will you be using the construction lumber for? Does the local building codes allow the use of ungraded roughcut lumber for structural construction. Best to make sure you're legal before having to redo if you loose the argument with the inspectors...

Good Luck!

Herb

btulloh

I always adhere to local building codes as well as accepted practices.  I see a lot things on here built with lumber and timber cut on these mills.  Thanks for your comments and your concern.
HM126

Brad_bb

Use lower grade wood for your cribbing.  You don't want to use a clean straight grained Oak log for cribbing when it is best suited for wide boards. Your cirbbing can have knots etc.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SawyerBrown

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

Welcome to the forum!  Good luck with the new saw, post some pictures if you get the opportunity.

Alexander

Hey I'm also in Richmond Virginia and also have a woodland mills hm126.  I bought mine a few months ago and i am brand new to saw milling too. I just found this website today as I was searching for advice online and I have already found a great deal here and plan on posting questions myself. I love the hm126 and you probably will too. Best of luck to you!

YellowHammer

Welcome to the Forum, both of you guys.  The best advice I can give is to keep the saw running, make some lumber and have some fun.
Build a few things with what you've sawn, and you'll know pretty quick what to improve upon.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Hello Alexander, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Thanks for the welcomes.  I'm looking forward to the learning process.
HM126

21incher

Welcome to the Forestry Forum btulloh & Alexander.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

btulloh

Magicman:  I saw your log arch and your design looks just right for me.  Would I infringe on your patent if I made one based on your design?  I wouldn't want to get tangled up with lawsuits or anything.   :laugh:
HM126

Magicman

Well, you could send me the legal fees in small unmarked bills.   :D

MAI

SawyerBrown

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

bandmiller2

Tullo, welcome, rather than lay good dunnage on the ground start with cement blocks lay stickers on top and start from there. Free air movement is probably the most important thing in drying lumber, keep grass and brush down. Starting off just have fun everything else will fall in place. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woodcat47

Another revival of the thread by a first time poster...glad to see a few happy owners of the Woodland Mill on here, planning on ordering one for myself very soon. Question....about how long does it take to get to your door [I am in Texas]. Will I need a tractor handy to move it to the location I have in mind or will the delivery driver be able to move it?

Thanks...looking forward to my new hobby/part time venture!
Owner Kelly Hanna Woodworks and soon....Texas Red's Sawmill
Deck Builder serving Dallas and East Texas since 1977

SawyerBrown

fishfighter

Quote from: woodcat47 on February 14, 2016, 02:18:13 AM
Another revival of the thread by a first time poster...glad to see a few happy owners of the Woodland Mill on here, planning on ordering one for myself very soon. Question....about how long does it take to get to your door [I am in Texas]. Will I need a tractor handy to move it to the location I have in mind or will the delivery driver be able to move it?

Thanks...looking forward to my new hobby/part time venture!

It took about 4 days to get mine. I'm in Louisiana. They drop ship it. You will need a way to move it unless the truck can get to the area you want to set it up.

Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!