The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Off-grid battery/solar systems. Who is running one?  (Read 4534 times)

Offline grweldon

• Senior Member x2
    • Just Stuff! (my personal blog)
Re: Off-grid battery/solar systems. Who is running one?
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 04:27:02 pm »
After many years of just reading the forums i am finally writing something.  I am off the grid in Western Maine. 12 panels, 20 batteries and a Winco propane generator to charge the batteries when needed...

It would be nice to know the rated wattage output of the panels.  I'm assuming 3KW total? (250 watt panels)...
Timberking 1400, Ford 3910 Tractor, John Deere 350B Crawler/Loader

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
Re: Off-grid battery/solar systems. Who is running one?
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 05:41:48 pm »
My battery bank referenced 2 yrs. ago this month is still going strong but they are only emergency back up heat for the RO now, because I installed a wall mount propane heater which runs off a bulk tank.
I have now put in a totally off grid solar system at my house (the house is on the grid but the new system is isolated from the grid power). I have 1720 watts in panels, the battery bank is 24V 683 AH, consisting of 4 Rolls 6V 683 AH batteries in series. I have a MorningStar MPPT 60 charge controller, and an Outback 3524 inverter. We use it depending on the battery bank voltage. In the summer we run the washing machine and the vacuum all the time, in the winter they are only run on solar if we have good sun. The rest are run all the time on solar (2 sump pumps, light in the duck's coup, and the TV and dish box most of the time. They are on a power strip  that is plugged into solar when batteries are up good and into grid if voltage is down below 25V. This system was put in last December and finished in Jan. 2017. We ended up needing a rapid shut down set-up to comply with the newer code to protect first responders in case of an emergency.
logging small time for years but just learning how, with a Forest stewardship plan, 2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, sugar maple/maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time