iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Every sawmill needs one of these!

Started by hackberry jake, June 13, 2015, 07:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I have a deal with a local commercial mill to cut cedar logs on halves. He said "the keys are in the loader anytime you come down to get logs". So I went down today and loaded some logs.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

Whew, Now that's a loader!

That thing could load your trailer with one mouth full!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

etroup10

We've got one of these at work. Same model and same grapple. They sure are fun to drive! I wish I could convince my boss to let me borrow it at my mill for a day  :D
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

ozarkgem

Nice size Cedar logs. Does he mill Cedar or is it just a by product he picks up?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

YoungStump

We've also got two of those at our mill we keep a grapple like the one pictured on one and usually straight forks on the other, but we can switch over to buckets for cleanup and loading bark and firewood. The one we've had the longest has over 18,000 hrs and still gets the crap beat out of it daily.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

hackberry jake

Quote from: ozarkgem on June 13, 2015, 09:37:24 PM
Nice size Cedar logs. Does he mill Cedar or is it just a by product he picks up?
Just a bi-product. He buys all the timber on a certain parcel of land. His main business is grade hardwood and hardwood ties.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bruno of NH

That looks like a good load for the yota to be pulling !
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bill Gaiche

This must be its big brother. Nice cat loader Jake. bg

hackberry jake

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 14, 2015, 08:01:00 AM
That looks like a good load for the yota to be pulling !
Jim/Bruno
I could've handled a few more.  ;D

never finished

I'm guessing you didn't go south on the pig trail to get them. If you could have hauled many more.

ozarkgem

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 13, 2015, 11:26:32 PM
Quote from: ozarkgem on June 13, 2015, 09:37:24 PM
Just a bi-product. He buys all the timber on a certain parcel of land. His main business is grade hardwood and hardwood ties.
oops I spelled bi product wrong. thanks for the correction. I hate misspelling words
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

hackberry jake

Quote from: never finished on June 14, 2015, 09:04:29 PM
I'm guessing you didn't go south on the pig trail to get them. If you could have hauled many more.
I went west on hwy 16.   ;D

Brucer

That's my dream machine. I'd even settle for one of it's smaller siblings.

As it is, I use a Cat 910 loader, which would be the same size as an IT12. The big advantages of the IT series (over a conventional articulated loader) are
1 - parallel arm linkages -- a set of forks stays level all the way up.
2 - quick change from one implement to another.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Brucer on June 14, 2015, 11:33:02 PM

As it is, I use a Cat 910 loader, which would be the same size as an IT12. The big advantages of the IT series (over a conventional articulated loader) are

We just imported a new 10 ton Chinese built machine with a quick hitch on it for a yard machine, that is one really REALLY handy feature!!
I've been swapping between forks and bucket all day while doing some roading work when the gravel trucks turns up.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

JB Griffin

Looks like you had fun Jake. ;D

How does that compare to a 950B? They got 1 at the mill I work at along with 2 Dresser's, 2 Internationals, 2 Komatzus and a Deere.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

hackberry jake

Quote from: JB Griffin on June 15, 2015, 07:02:56 PM
Looks like you had fun Jake. ;D

How does that compare to a 950B? They got 1 at the mill I work at along with 2 Dresser's, 2 Internationals, 2 Komatzus and a Deere.
say_what

ScottAR

Bit smaller than a 950 I'm thinking.  A 950 is a 3.5-4.5 yard loader.  If I remember, the it28 was about a 2.5-3 yard machine. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

ozarkgem

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on June 15, 2015, 03:32:29 AM

We just imported a new 10 ton Chinese built machine with a quick hitch on it for a yard machine, that is one really REALLY handy feature!!
I've been swapping between forks and bucket all day while doing some roading work when the gravel trucks turns up.

Cheers
Justin
How about some pics of the Chinese machine?

Brucer

The Cat 950B has about 50% more horsepower and 50% more weight than the IT28.

I actually had an opportunity to buy one of those machines Bill Gaiche posted. It'll pick up an entire truckload of logs in one lift :o. A mid-size sawmill company with several operations in BC had gone bankrupt and everything was for sale. They would have been happy to get scrap metal prices for the machine.

It was a nice thought but that thing would fill up my log yard, I'd have to take make a 20-point turn just to get it turned around, and I don't think I could even pick up just one log with it :D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: ozarkgem on June 15, 2015, 09:13:51 PM
Quote from: JustinW_NZ on June 15, 2015, 03:32:29 AM

Cheers
Justin
How about some pics of the Chinese machine?

Don't wana hijak thread, but this gives you the idea..

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Bibbyman

We tried out a CAT 910 years ago.  Three major drawbacks.   Too DanG tall!  We get in and out of it 50 times a day.  Climbing head hight that many times is too hard on the knees.  Too tall two - it wouldn't fit under any eve at the mill.  Three.  I couldn't live with the articulation.  I'd pick something up and turn and whatever I picked up would fly off the end.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

JB Griffin

The articulation is weird alright but the loader drivers at work use it to straighten log piles up, just get the fork next to the end of the log and turn the steering wheel. ;)
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Bibbyman

I can side shift about 6" with our Terexs up close or maybe a foot when boom is extended.  Here are a couple of videos I made way back when.

http://youtu.be/FVosFcvb1MQ

http://youtu.be/7UxKhvIo4J4
Sawing since '94

hackberry jake

That looks better suited for uneven terrain as well. I could see it coming in handy for a lot of things. Like setting trusses.

Dixon700

What kind of weight can that Tele handler handle?
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

Bibbyman

Quote from: Dixon700 on June 18, 2015, 03:19:43 PM
What kind of weight can that Tele handler handle?

The smaller one 5500# with the boom all the way in,  2500 or so extended 9 feet.   The larger 6500# boom in and 3500 boom extended 19 feet out.   

The machines are categorized as farm equipment - stacking big hay bales and cleaning out barns, etc. .  Also used in lumber yards.  One major benefit to the boom extention is that you can unload log trucks that have logs stacked higher than a lot of other equipment can reach.   You can dump over the side of a large dumptruck.

One unexpected use is by the Marines.  They have a military version   The Marines bought a bunch because they are compact and can be loaded in the hole of a ship or run into cargo plane.  They can be air lifted by helicopter. 

They do not  do well on uneven ground.   The front axle is fixed and back axle has only about 4" of movement.  Cross a ditch at an angle and it'll leave two opposite wheels will make little to no contact and you lose traction.  In low gear,  they have 4x4.   They are much heavier than they look.  It's easy to get sruck in soft ground.
Sawing since '94

YoungStump

Bibbyman, how is your Terex holding out for you and what's it like to work on?
We had a JCB and now have a Cat telehandler in our lumberyard. The JCB was a nightmare with many breakdowns, and extremely difficult to work on and very expensive parts. We traded it in on a new Cat (made by JLG) and it has been holding up better and is more accessible to work on but still seems to give us it's fair share of trouble.

We really like the maneuverability of a telehandler but would like to find something that holds up to everyday use and abuse better.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Thank You Sponsors!