iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Running the LT70 Video

Started by YoungStump, June 13, 2015, 03:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungStump

I enjoy watching sawmill videos so I figured I'll share mine. First log of the day so I'm not quite up to speed yet. :)

http://youtu.be/PMT-NRmAw-8

Got a friend who has an LT40 helping out in the mill for a few weeks, he took and posted the video.  8)
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

pine

Looks like a nice setup you have going there.

tule peak timber

nice video ! What blade are you running on that oak? Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

YoungStump

I'm running the 7/39 doublehards 1 1/2"x .055".
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

tule peak timber

Thanks,,,Again looks like a nice set up .  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Percy

Excellent!! Great vid and quick feed rate..... Awesome setup     smiley_clapping
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

YoungStump

Thanks guys....it's come a long way since sawing under a carport last summer.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

I would say it will take a while to get the hang of that new 70. looking good
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

I remember when you first started up, and you appear to not have looked back, looks great, just got to love the 70's,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Great Video, Great Set-up!

Thanks for posting.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hunz

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

fishpharmer

Nice setup!  I hear if your not moving forward your moving backward ;) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

That is a smoooooth operation.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CHill8903

Very nice operation!  I always wondered, how hard is it to grade saw when you sit at the end of the mill?  Do you ever have trouble seeing the whole log face?  Just curious.

YoungStump

It is actually much better than standing behind the mill, I am sitting in an elevated saw booth so I can see down on the top of the log. As of now I'm sawing mostly low grade but if I start doing a lot of grade I would like to rig up a blow off for the cant face, depending on your tooth set and species the dust can make it a bit hard to see.

rwepinetree

Nice
video that is what I want to set up to cut pallet cants and 4/4 grade who many people do you have working with you

YoungStump

Right now we have 3 guys working in the mill, normally the loader driver that loads the scragg mill decks also keeps logs on our deck. We often times run with only 2 people but our production suffers some.

CHill8903

I was wondering about the sawdust on the cant. I know I usually find myself brushing it off. I have a lt40super walk along so a blower would make a mess for me, but I could see it being possible for you.  I think I remember seeing the industrial woodmizers may have something like that on them?

Rachiano

Nice setup and video YoungStump....keep them coming...I would also like to see the cooks edger working...thinking about investing in such an edger in the near future.
Rachiano

WM LT70
WM EG50
Werklust WG25 Wheel loader
DAF 2100 HIAB truck

4x4American

I enjoyed the video.  Great setup, you lucky devil, you!
Boy, back in my day..

mjl_2007

Very nice set up! I've been considering upgrading my lt50 to a 70 with the log deck, conveyors, and green chain. How many board feet do you realistically cut per hour with your setup?

YoungStump

With three people we have been averaging around 700 bf per hour, this is including some minor breakdowns, delays, and cleanup. Oftentimes we run with only two people then it drops to around 550 bf per hour.

Ox

Very cool, thanks for sharing.  My neighbor's 70 super hydraulic has the swing up type backstops, yours are straight up and down, right?  Unless I saw it wrong...  His also doesn't have the chain log turner, it's the big toothed arm type turner.  Most of the time he just uses the clamp for flipping. 

Very nice machine - congratulations!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

YoungStump

Yes mine are straight up and down, I didn't know that the 70 was ever made without the vertical uprights and chain turner.

Thank You Sponsors!