iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

black ants in red oak

Started by Justify008, June 13, 2015, 12:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justify008

Not sure if this is the right section or not so please move if its not.

Last night when I got home I went to get the dogs from the backyard to bring them in and when I was walking back with them they both stopped and started sniffing and digging at the ground. This peaked my curiosity so I looked closely with a flashlight and realized there was a trail of those big black ants coming from a pile of old garden hoses the dogs pulled from under the porch earlier that day the ants were going out in 2 directions from the hose in lines one to my house which I can take care of with ant poison and bait from the hardware store. The other direction was to this really old beautiful oak tree that didnt show any signs of ants before but now there climbing it obviously making a new home. So my question is how do I kill the ants in and around the tree without killing the tree?

beenthere

The ant poison and bait you use in your house should not kill the tree.

And they will only go into the tree if there is advanced stages of decay to make a nest.

Your location isn't in your profile, and knowing it might help.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gfadvm

Just be very careful with the ant bait. It is very palatable to dogs and VERY toxic to them. My Jack Russel would spend hours trying to get to my ant bait under my dove house floor.

thecfarm

I sell ant bait at the store that is suppose to be safe for pets. Or that is what the label says. It's a bait that is made to be applied to a lawn.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jdonovan

I've had good luck with talstar. Its a fine granular product, so less likely that pets get into it, and the ants carry it back to the nest, and feed others from it, and it wipes out the colony.

Thank You Sponsors!