iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well, that was a bit of a shock.

Started by cutterboy, June 12, 2015, 05:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

I was sawing through a cant of red oak this morning when a bolt fell down from above and landed on the cant just where the blade was passing underneath. It was a surprise! Luckily the bolt stayed on the cant and didn't fall onto the blade. After inspecting I found that one of the bolts that holds the muffler to the engine broke off.

One more thing to fix.    Happy sawing, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ocklawahaboy

I had a whole muffler break off of mine in the middle of a cut.  Much different setup than yours.  The old Onan.  Exhaust pipe rusted through and broke from vibrations.  We are all affected by gravity but it's never nice to see it taking a toll on the mill.

21incher

Looks like it will be a job for a easy out. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sumday

In my experience, whoever came up with the name "easy out" must have had quite the sense of humor.

ladylake

Is that bracket to the left of the exhaust broke, if its a muffler support that would explain the broken bolt.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dustyhat

Well, look on the bright side cutter, your into some nice looking lumber :)

Nomad

Quote from: sumday on June 12, 2015, 06:35:27 PM
In my experience, whoever came up with the name "easy out" must have had quite the sense of humor.

:D smiley_thumbsup
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Cedarman

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Percy

Ya, its right up there with root canal and colonoscopy......
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

gww

I had an old shovel head harley that had the exaust tied to the motor in the same fasion. My pipe fell off while going down the road.  I believe harley came up with a stud type system to counter the problim.  I just had it welded shut redrilled and tapped and didn't have any more problims.  I think it is a weak set up though.
gww

YellowHammer

The photo reminds me of when my Grandma's dentures fell out and landed on the dinner table :D

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

beenthere

Or when with some friends at a bar doing some beer tasting, and one older fellow came back from the men's room, claiming he'd upchucked and his new dentures went in the toilet. He thought he could just flush it and all but the dentures would remain.   Didn't work that way.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

cutterboy

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 12, 2015, 11:02:29 PM
The photo reminds me of when my Grandma's dentures fell out and landed on the dinner table :D

YH
:D :D :D :D

BUGGUTZ

Be careful, if you drill that be sure to get center. If you miss that steel stud in an aluminum head......... Heads arent crazy expensive if it comes to that. Hopefully theres a nub sticking up. Use some heat as well. Good luck!
Everyone has to be somewhere.

bandmiller2

That's a stud and their usually a little harder than bolts. Buy a real good quality drill and find a piece of tube to put in the hole to center the drill. If you can find a drill with left hand flutes sometimes it will back out the broken piece after you drilled a ways. Good luck mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

And might I suggest that some liberal use of Blue Creeper applied to the thread area will likely be very fruitful to removal before drilling as mentioned. The left hand drill bit a very good idea along with the method of centering the bit.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

cutterboy

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I've ordered new studs and we'll see what my fix it guy and I can do. Frank, good idea about centering the drill.     Cutter

pnhd65

[/qu
ote]   That would've been Mr. Murphy. He and I are infinitely familiar. :D

bandmiller2

The square tapered easy outs are the better design. I have had good luck with torques bits the ones you put a socket on, they seem to get an even grip and not expand the broken piece tighter. If a stud is broken off flush or buggered from vice grips you can weld a nut on it, a place to grab and the heat helps. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

nz1h

At work when the broken bolt is stuck and we don't want to stress the easy-out to the point of breaking we use canning wax.  Just drill bolt for easy-out then heat it and melt wax into the bolt.  95% of the time it comes out really easy.

alain

Magicman

Good Morning nz1h, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  You have been mighty quiet for 4 years.   ;D

How about an intro thread and telling us about your sawing, log, lumber interest?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Welcome nz1h.

Your candle/wax trick was one I observed at a local engine repair shop. Before steam cleaning engine blocks, they would strip the old block of all studs. Quickly moved around the engine with a torch and a candle, heating the studs and then cooling them using the candle which melted the wax down around the threads. Then just turned them out easily with pliers. Only thing I've seen that is better than Blue Creeper.
south central Wisconsin

Kbeitz

If you have one to hard to drill just use an old cement bit.
Cement bits dont come sharp so you need to put an edge on it.
There is not much you will find that a cement bit cant drill.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!