iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Double cut band saw blades

Started by black, June 12, 2015, 03:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black

I have looked at the double cut band saw blades and was wondering if any one has experience with them?
Is it only the crown that keep them on in both directions?
Could they be sharpened and set on standard machines?
Any info/input will be appreciated.

dustyhat

4x4American

I was wondering the same thing myself!
Boy, back in my day..

Nomad

I think you're talking a whole different animal, and a whole different kind of machine.  Only thing they have in common is both using a band.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Andre

I think they are talking something like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHQJrdNbgUQ

I have no experience with them but I got a feeling that until you have optimized almost all other variables there are better ways to spend money.
Guessing they need a very solid rigid mill to work at all.
See ya
  Andre' B.

gww

I must say that vidio is of an impressive machine.
gww

bandmiller2

I'am not the sharpest tool in the shed but I'am sure our sharpeners and setters could be easily modified to handle double teeth. Now this is something for a sawmill shootoff best single cut vs. same size double cut, advantage may not be all that great if you consider extra costs and problems. I believe saw guides basically give up and down stability, front to back only if you hit something or push a dull band. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Brad_S.

Those are not inch and a half bands, those are at least four and more likely 6 inches wide.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Andre

Here is some interesting reading.
https://archive.org/details/bandsawguidebook00simo

Bit dated, copyright 1921, talks of doublecut blades being made as narrow as 8 inches.

See ya
  Andre' B.

Ron Wenrich

Details on that particular mill is that it's a 6" blade and runs a 115 hp John Deere diesel.  I'm not real impressed by the sawing techniques used in the videos, especially for hardwoods. 

Twin Cut makes a circle mill that cuts in both directions. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

red oaks lumber

i looked into a double cut and after alot of head scratching i decided it wasn't worth the money. ie: the blades are close to $300/ blade,the sharping/setting eq. was close to $35000,if your grade sawing you have to stop after every cut to clear the cant to see the grade. aside from all that i thought if double cuts were the way to go why dosent wood mizer have one? there are alot of smaller things that can increase production all the while using a single cut blade for alot smaller dollar amount :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

sandsawmill14

i agree with red oak on that one  we gave some serious thought to one of the selects but you can buy a cooper scragg cheaper :D and cut a lot more lumber :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

bandmiller2

When you get into those bands you need a saw room with someone that knows how to service them. I am constantly amazed at what and how much the bands we use cut, and the long service from them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

I was in a hardwood mill in Canada that used 2 headrigs that had double cut bands.  Sounded like mosquitoes.  They live sawed and only turned the log one time.  Everything went through an edger.  They were doing about 100 Mbf per day.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!