iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Perka building construction begins

Started by grweldon, June 12, 2015, 10:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

Previous threads in this series:

Clearing the land:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,79027.msg1199773.html#msg1199773

Excavating the site:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80465.msg1223241.html#msg1223241

And now, only 2 1/2 months behind schedule we begin actual construction starting with pouring the concrete slab!  Total pour size was 60 cubic yards with 10 yards on each truck.

Just about finished with the rebar and remesh the night before the pour.  I hired a crew (J&E Construction, Prattville, Alabama) to do the rebar and remesh installation and also for the pour.

Second truck finishing up the footings.

Third truck after all the footings were filled.

Fourth truck.

Fifth truck pouring at far left.

Waiting for sixth truck to arrive.

Sixth truck.

Above and below, pour complete and waiting on curing to be able to polish the finish.

Finishing crew.

Video link showing the 5th truck leaving and the crew contemplating the drone doing the filming.
http://youtu.be/cN-ZLZDv8vU

Video of the sixth and final truck.

https://youtu.be/haYSde9vvHM

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Ljohnsaw

Wow, like that power screed thing!  That's a lot of mud :o
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sandhills

Looks like it turned out great, it's always a nice feeling when that job is done!

Holmes

Is it already starting to look to small? ;D  :) ;D
Think like a farmer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

That looks good. I followed the threads posted and could go back and find it,but I see you extended the footings,on the right side,but no floor. Sawmill going there?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grweldon

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

grweldon

Quote from: thecfarm on June 12, 2015, 09:21:25 PM
That looks good. I followed the threads posted and could go back and find it,but I see you extended the footings,on the right side,but no floor. Sawmill going there?

The original intention was to have the sawmill on one side and my ultralight on the other.  The latest plan has me storing the ultralight on the far end and building a lean-to on one of the long sides to house the sawmill.  The extensions on each side are free span and open on all sides.  As Holmes noted above, at least one of the extensions will most-likely eventually get enclosed, if not both.

justallan1

It's looking better for darned sure.
Those power screeds are definitely back and shoulder savers.

grweldon

I spent Father's day with my son Wes putting up the first of the steel columns for my barn. It was extremely hot! We started about 8AM and finished up where the last picture shows at about 5PM including a little excursion to Selma for lunch. When we got home there was a feast of veggies, philly cheese steak stuffed peppers and cornbread that my lovely wife prepared waiting for us. Afterward, the opening of the father's day cards from my children. It was an exhausting, yet great day!

Magicman

That was a nice reward for a successful and satisfying day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Keep the updates coming. Will be good to look back for years to come.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Randy88

Nice looking start, what model of ultralight do you have, I'm also an aviation nut?

grweldon

grweldon

Here's a shot showing the progress from this weekend.  Not much but at least it's forward momentum!

Holmes

I like that picture, now it's starting to look BIGGER
Think like a farmer.

rjwoelk

Did you use a rc chopper to do the video? Perdy nice.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

grweldon

scleigh

grweldon, How tall is the building going to be?

grweldon

16' sidewalls, around 21' at the peak of the 3:12 pitch.

scleigh

That will be one more roof to install. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

grweldon

Lumber for the roof and the long sidewalls arrived yesterday.  Sheet metal for the roof and sidewalls will arrive tomorrow as well as the all-terrain forklift (Lull).  I don't have enough cash saved yet to do the end walls.  That will have to wait until later this year.

I hope to have all the structural steel erected by the end of the weekend and hopefully most of the wood girts and purlins.  I might even be able to start on the roofing metal...

grweldon

Somebody asked me, "How did YOU spend your Fourth of July weekend?"  I told them, "Watching my son put together my barn."  Now to finish the sidewalls and see what we need to do to put up the sheet metal.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

Whoa!  That thing will be huge.  Just think of all the lumber that you will be able to stack under there.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

:o  What to say??  Even your pictures are smiling.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

Quote from: WDH on July 07, 2015, 09:10:25 PM
Whoa!  That thing will be huge.  Just think of all the lumber that you will be able to stack under there.

Danny, it's smaller than Jake's overhead shelter.  I'm only going to be stacking lumber at the overhead-only cover at the 16' open bays at each end.  I think Jake said his was 40 x 100.  This one is 40 x 80.

justallan1

That's some great progress.
I remember building with my father and at times wishing we had another guy, turns out we got more done with just the two of us. 8)

grweldon

Finally got around to installing some metal.  We made good progress this weekend, getting about 5/6 of the southern side of the roof installed.  We had to figure out the process and get in to the groove on Saturday but made good progress yesterday.  If nothing interferes with next weekend, we might just be able to finish the roof.  It was 95 yesterday, hardly any clouds and we started work about 11:30 and quit about 5. It felt good to have some shade to sit in when taking water breaks...

WDH

That thing is huge!  I could stack a whack of lumber under there. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grweldon

It's really not that big Danny.  It's actually 20' shorter than the cover where Jake keeps his mill.  Same width.  Also, you have to remember, I'm enclosing only the inside 3 bays.  The 16' bays on each side will be left open with just overhead cover.

As other's have been saying, it is apparent to me that it is already too small.  I'm going to build a 16' wide loft at the far end and make 3 rooms, one for storage, one a woodworking shop and the other an office, leaving only a 32' x 40' working space enclosed.

I imagine that in a year or two (after I finish the runway) that I'll be putting a 16' wide by 48' foot long lean-to on one side, maybe even followed shortly by the same on the other side.  Of course that's if my life circumstances don't change, but they always have.

Here's a shot showing my tractor in her first night under cover.  It puts things in better perspective...

Gadrock

Building is looking really nice.
  After a few thousand hours in real airplanes at 3 feet acl (above crop level) I recommend you throw away that ultralite and invest in a real a/c. The survival statistics are much higher.

But I have burried a brother and several friends from real a/c accidents. And I have knowledge of several ultralite related deaths.

I do not fly anymore, but feel certain I could start back if necessary.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

grweldon

Thanks for the comments on the building Gadrock.

Thank You Sponsors!