iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsereds 70E Owners Manual

Started by jimmy245, June 11, 2015, 11:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy245

Anyone know where I can find a 70E manual?

Thanks, Jim

dougand3

Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

SawTroll

I have been looking for such documents for a decade+, and don't think I ever came across an operator manual for those saws, the closest is the 621 (paper copy in Swedish) and a WS manual for the 80....
Information collector.

JohnG28

They're hard to come by. I haven't found an ipl for my 90 yet...  :-\
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

I remember those old owners manuals that came with my new Jonsereds back in the 1970's.
They were thin but big in size, also came with a 2 page green highlighted parts manual.
When I sold my saws after logging with it for a year the manuals  would go with them.

I'll  have to look around for the manuals for my recently  acquired  Jonsereds 70.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Quote from: JohnG28 on June 13, 2015, 12:23:09 AM
They're hard to come by. I haven't found an ipl for my 90 yet...  :-\

I can't find it either, documents on Jonsereds saws that no longer were current by about 1982 are hard to find. The 621 and 70E just made it into the online library, but IPLs only.
Information collector.

JohnG28

Well if you can't find it ST then I surely won't!  :D Too bad, I really wish I could find one.  >:(
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Northwoods3308

I know this is a really old thread but I have the owners manual with my 70E . If you still need it maybe I can photocopy it for you 

weimedog

Glad there are folks who still are interested in those machines, even USE them! I have ONE, came from Spike60 and has now been a standard part of the saws on the truck for this year. Just a nice running saw. Ran mine yesterday breaking down a 20inch dia ash blow down. Was fun to do that job with the 70e...:) Might be fun to either start a new thread or have this one morph into "Jobs Done With Jonsereds 70e's" with vids or pics...:)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Luke9

Just found my dads 1979 70E in the barn. I'd love it if anyone could reply or email me with copies of the manual. 

Real1shepherd

Or....put a bottom louver muffler on a well-kept 80 and let her rip with a 28" bar....or, do the same with a 90 and use a 32" bar. 8)

Kidding aside, the 70e was an iconic Jonsereds saw. If you're collecting the line of the pre-Elux saws, that saw is a must.

The big caveat with the 70e's are the saws in the series that have the SEM's module over the crankshaft(inside the flywheel). The other caveat in the series are the saws with the plastic fan bolted to the flywheel. However, there is a fellow making 3D printed fans with great success. The SEM's module however, is a dead-end if it's bad.

Not proven on the 70e yet, but an EE removed a portion of the internal SEM's potting on a Squeal saw and ran an external pulse capacitor(trigger) outside of the flywheel with good success. A lot of microsurgery, but if your saw ignition is dead, your only other choices are parts saw or boneyard.

Kevin  

chet

Luke9, that is definitely an iconic old saw. I still got all the original paperwork and manuals from when I purchased mine. I'll dig through my stuff, hopefully at some point I didn't lend them out. 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

HolmenTree

Now I'm getting my 70E interest rebooted.
I've pretty well owned every Jonsered above 56cc from the 1970's into the early 1980's but never ran a 70E.
I found one about 12 years ago and never worked on it besides pulling the rope and it fired up for a second. Needs lots of work to clean out the fuel tank and find a air filter cover.
But other than that it is a low hour saw with most of the paint and decals still intact.

Real1shepherd

Willard, that's a beauty....well worth fixing up. Hopefully, it's the external coil module series saw.

Gonna be heavy against a modern 70cc saw, but gobs of torque that the new saws lack. Pro built all the way too. 

Kevin

HolmenTree

Kevin, yes it is the external coil and it has spark. 
Compared to my modern 70cc saws I've owned like the 372XP old edition it is pretty ancient.
But my older brother who cut pulp with one swore by it. 
In that era of 1979-1980 I picked the Jonsereds 910E over the 70E. They both were basically the same weight and bulk and the 910 had 87cc. 
You learn quick with the 910 not to get careless and pinch the 20" bar nose and then trying to pull the saw free while limbing and topping.

Real1shepherd

Willard....I would consider the 910 to be a next class higher saw than the 70e. I have a hole in my J'reds between the 621 and the 80/90/910. The 70e would fill that nicely. But I've lived without it all this time so.....

I've looked hard at the Echo 7310. Old world durability with a new saw build. Reviews are usually very favorable. Thread here about the puny bar tensioner. Other than that, the reviews are good and the price is right for a 70cc pro class saw.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!